CRM 4.0 meeting request to appointment tracking problem. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have problem using Outlook 2003 and CRM 4.0 regarding meeting request and appointment.

Colleagues, "A" and "B" are using CRM 4.0

Person "A" decides to send meeting request through Outlook 2003 to person "B" and customer "C".

Situation 1.

Person "A" decides to send meeting request through Outlook 2003 to person "B" and customer "C".

Person "B" declined request and customer "C" accepted.

Now, person A decides to track request to CRM 4.0 and than we have a problem...

When person A tracked meeting request to CRM he didn't removed person B from recipients and person B is booked for appointment in CRM that he declined.

Simple workaround is that person who sends meeting request removes people that declined but that's not acceptable solution because people who buy CRM wants complete automatism.

Situation 2.

Person "A" decides to send meeting request through Outlook 2003 to person "B" and customer "C" and track it in CRM before they answerd.

Now, if person "B" synchronises CRM before he sends/receives mails in Outlook  he will get double appointment in calendar.

That's no big problem if person B accepts because duplicated appointment then merges but if he declines than he still have appointment because when person A tracked it he created appointment in CRM that he can't declined because appointment is not request it's order.

Q: Is this Outlook 2003 problem or is this how Microsoft decided to use meeting request and it's tracking to CRM?

In my opinion if some declines meeting request that is tracked in CRM than he should not be booked for that appointment.

help please....

Thx

Saturday, October 2, 2010 8:07 PM

Answers

• You have discovered that CRM does not use or send meeting requests -- they exist only in Outlook. So if you set up a meeting in Outlook and track it in CRM, CRM will associate all the invitees to the CRM appointment regardless of whether they respond to the Outlook meeting request with accept/decline/tentative.

In these scenarios, the CRM copy of the appointment will show who was invited to the meeting, not who actually attended. It is up to the meeting organiser to update the CRM appointment attendees to remove invitees who did not attend.

You could automate this but it would require some complex custom development to manage all the accept/decline/reschedule/reinvite scenarios.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

• Marked as answer by CroMBob Tuesday, October 5, 2010 7:06 AM
    Monday, October 4, 2010 10:00 AM

All replies

• To be honest Syncronization is at times flunky. You have to know that certain aspects of syncronization will trump other data already in the system.

What puzzles me about your situation is that you have people receiving email and yet their CRM is not connected. Why is this happening? It seems that your CRM is not configured to be connected any time the laptop user is able to receive email.

Perhaps the solution is to make CRM more available to mobile workers. If you need help with this feel free to touch base.

Jeff Loucks | Available Technology | 888-474-2237 | http://msmvps.com/blogs/jeffloucks
    Sunday, October 3, 2010 7:08 PM

• Persons “A” and “B” are using Outlook CRM Client.

When you track meeting request from Outlook Client you create appointment in CRM.

My problem is:

Person “A“ sends meeting request to his co-worker person “B“ and customer   “C”.

Person “B“ declines it, customer “C” accept it.

In that moment person “B” has nothing in his Calendar.

Then person “A” decides to track this meeting request in CRM so, CRM creates appointment with person “B” and person “B” now has appointment in his calendar although he declined meeting request!!!

That’s the problem, CRM only look at   recipients when creating appointment from meeting request not who accepted and who declined.

Is this Outlook 2003 problem or I’m doing something wrong?

Sunday, October 3, 2010 8:33 PM
  • CROMBob,

If you configure and use IFD your will find that there is less opportunity for the logic of syncronization to inerfere with appointments. Essentially syncronization attempts to fix the fact that the person has been out of contact with the CRM server and working independently. Logic cannot handle problems which are not easy to predict and rather than have people go and manually resolve syncronization problems the teams decided to create predictable behavior consistent with what your users are experiencing.

So the fix is to reduce the amount of syncronization by increasing the availability of your CRM server which is accomplished through an IFD deployment.

Jeff Loucks | Available Technology | 888-474-2237 | http://msmvps.com/blogs/jeffloucks
    • Proposed as answer by Jeff Loucks Monday, October 4, 2010 6:38 AM
    Monday, October 4, 2010 6:38 AM
  • How all this gonna solve my problem?

Person who declined meeting request will be booked for appointment when meeting request is tracked to CRM....
    Monday, October 4, 2010 7:11 AM
  • I may have misread the scenario. Here is what I was thinking.

I was thinking that the appointment was not tracking that one of the participants has declined because it was in an offline state and the information was not available. So it was logical for CRM to book the party as having accepted in the absence of information to the contrary. When the sync happens no further validation is done and the system posts the record as it was when the meeting was tracked in CRM.

Rereading it you might be saying that regardless of offline or online the appointment does not track whether people have declined and therefore allocates their time for the appointment regardless of whether or not they have declined. If this is the case then it would be a bug and should be reported to the sustained engineering team at MS.

However if the exprience is different if the user is online versus offline then the solution is to increase the availability of the CRM server through an internet facing deployment (IFD) which would decrease the time CRM is in use with new email information and old stale CRM data.

Monday, October 4, 2010 7:50 AM
  • Rereading it you might be saying that regardless of offline or online the appointment does not track whether people have declined and therefore allocates their time for the appointment regardless of whether or not they have declined. If this is the case then it would be a bug and should be reported to the sustained engineering team at MS.

This is the problem! All the users will be online, and gonna use CRM through Outlook Client, and they will use and they are using Meeting Request butt they must track their activities in CRM and now i have problem. 

Users must manually remove attendees!!

That is just plain stupid!

If someone declined that's that....

So, is this general bug or maybe just problem on our test environment?

Monday, October 4, 2010 8:02 AM
  • You have discovered that CRM does not use or send meeting requests -- they exist only in Outlook. So if you set up a meeting in Outlook and track it in CRM, CRM will associate all the invitees to the CRM appointment regardless of whether they respond to the Outlook meeting request with accept/decline/tentative.

In these scenarios, the CRM copy of the appointment will show who was invited to the meeting, not who actually attended. It is up to the meeting organiser to update the CRM appointment attendees to remove invitees who did not attend.

You could automate this but it would require some complex custom development to manage all the accept/decline/reschedule/reinvite scenarios.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

• Marked as answer by CroMBob Tuesday, October 5, 2010 7:06 AM
    Monday, October 4, 2010 10:00 AM