backup - disk issues... RRS feed

• Question

•  

When I tried to backup, I was prompted for the previous disk, popped it in.  No troubles.  Data was oversized for the disk and I was prompted to put in a new disk.  I did, BUT One Care rejected all the brand new, Verbatim DVD recordable 16X 4.7GB disks I tried.  Not one of five disks was recognised as being 'free of data', and that was AFTER the formatting had taken place.  I thought I'd restart the computer so I cancelled out of the backup.

Restarting did not help, and One Care will not backup to perfectly good, as new (untouched and in their container), empty disks.

Or am I missing something obvious? 

(By the way, the disks are the same as those accepted in the initial backing up, and have been used successfully through 4 disks so far.)

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 11:51 PM

Answers

• Formatting? The blank discs should not be formatted. The burning component will gather the files on the hard drive and will then write them to the DVD. There is no formatting of a blank disc involved. If the disc is being formatted, that may be done by installed "packet writing" software from another burning package that allows you to use the CD/DVD media similar to a floppy or flash disc. Common packet writing software is InCD by Nero and DirectCD by Roxio. If you have this kind of software installed, please remove it or at least disable it.

Assuming that it wasn't formatting, but actually preparing the data to be written to disc, then scratch the above answer and please contact support for help in diagnosing the cause of the problem.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, May 8, 2008 12:23 PM
  •  

Sorry for the delay, was planning to get some new disks but decided to try again anyway.

First of all, OneCare was 'unresponsive' lol.  Hmmm, okay, restart computer. 

Okay... Start backup.. OneCare scanning...

Ready to begin - insert previous disk and click start... okay.

Preparing files, compressing...

Then pops up with "Insert Another Disk . The disk in your drive contains data. Please replace with a blank recordable disk."  (Of course it contains data! It's the previous disk! - confusing!)

Okay so I do it.

Background - continuing to compress...

After putting in the new disk, and it being rejected, a message pops up... "Insert a disk in the drive.  There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a blank recordable disk into the disk burner and click okay."

(Of course there isn't!  The program just popped it out!  Confusing again.)

Okay, so, first, I try putting the same disk back in.  Same result.  Twice.

Then I changed to another disk and BINGO!  It backed up.

I don't get it, but anyway, the problem resolved itself.

Sunday, May 11, 2008 1:29 AM

All replies

• Formatting? The blank discs should not be formatted. The burning component will gather the files on the hard drive and will then write them to the DVD. There is no formatting of a blank disc involved. If the disc is being formatted, that may be done by installed "packet writing" software from another burning package that allows you to use the CD/DVD media similar to a floppy or flash disc. Common packet writing software is InCD by Nero and DirectCD by Roxio. If you have this kind of software installed, please remove it or at least disable it.

Assuming that it wasn't formatting, but actually preparing the data to be written to disc, then scratch the above answer and please contact support for help in diagnosing the cause of the problem.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, May 8, 2008 12:23 PM
  •  

Sorry for the delay, was planning to get some new disks but decided to try again anyway.

First of all, OneCare was 'unresponsive' lol.  Hmmm, okay, restart computer. 

Okay... Start backup.. OneCare scanning...

Ready to begin - insert previous disk and click start... okay.

Preparing files, compressing...

Then pops up with "Insert Another Disk . The disk in your drive contains data. Please replace with a blank recordable disk."  (Of course it contains data! It's the previous disk! - confusing!)

Okay so I do it.

Background - continuing to compress...

After putting in the new disk, and it being rejected, a message pops up... "Insert a disk in the drive.  There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a blank recordable disk into the disk burner and click okay."

(Of course there isn't!  The program just popped it out!  Confusing again.)

Okay, so, first, I try putting the same disk back in.  Same result.  Twice.

Then I changed to another disk and BINGO!  It backed up.

I don't get it, but anyway, the problem resolved itself.

Sunday, May 11, 2008 1:29 AM
  • Stephen,

I just downloaded the trial version of Windows Live Care yesterday.  I did the virus and spyware scan and it said it discovered and removed 2 things.  In general, my computer seems to be running fine, except, when I go on YouTube and try to watch certain videos it doesn't play any sound and, you know that "knob" that goes across as the time you've watched the video goes by, well that goes across really fast.  So, I'm thinking it's because of a virus but I'm not sure.  It was doing that on YouTube before I did the virus scan too.  Do you think a back-up and restore would be the way to go?

Sunday, May 11, 2008 5:08 AM
  • Hi, NathanWW.

Glad to read that it finally worked for you. I hope that it *keeps* working now!

-steve

Monday, May 12, 2008 3:09 PM
  •  moneyguy wrote:

Stephen,

I just downloaded the trial version of Windows Live Care yesterday.  I did the virus and spyware scan and it said it discovered and removed 2 things.  In general, my computer seems to be running fine, except, when I go on YouTube and try to watch certain videos it doesn't play any sound and, you know that "knob" that goes across as the time you've watched the video goes by, well that goes across really fast.  So, I'm thinking it's because of a virus but I'm not sure.  It was doing that on YouTube before I did the virus scan too.  Do you think a back-up and restore would be the way to go?

I don't think a backup and restore would address your issue. I believe you may need to reinstall Adobe Flash, which is what YouTube videos play with in IE.

-steve

Monday, May 12, 2008 3:13 PM
  • I have had no problems with back ups for the past year. Since downloading the latest Vista Service pack update I am unable to complete a back up.

The error I get is the disk contains no data and it spits it out and asks for another. I insert other brand new DVD disks and it still does not work.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 11:57 AM
  •  CBM9 wrote:

I have had no problems with back ups for the past year. Since downloading the latest Vista Service pack update I am unable to complete a back up.

The error I get is the disk contains no data and it spits it out and asks for another. I insert other brand new DVD disks and it still does not work.

Sorry for the delayed reply to your post. Since this problem recently cropped up, I would first consider if you may have recently changed DVD brands. If that isn't the case, then please contact support for help as the cause of this issue hasn't yet been clearly answered here.

-steve

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 2:20 PM