What is the search indexer doing and how do I benefit from it? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

I noticed Windows Search (or something) was installed on my WHS. Also, there's a process running called "searchindexer.exe". I guess that service/process is indexing files on my shares?

How do I search in that index? Can I turn it off (I don't search very often, I KNOW where my files are... "geniuses masters chaos").

Thanks in advance,

Jonas

Thursday, June 12, 2008 4:06 PM

Answers

• Yes, that's correct. It will stop indexing once it's done it's stuff. However, if you really need to stop it, you can RDP into the server, start Task Manager and highlight the service and then End Process.

Colin

Thursday, June 12, 2008 4:48 PM
  • There is a search bar when you Remote Access into your home server and you are on the Shared Folders tab.

You can open up the "Shared Folders on Server" shortcut on a PC running Windows Vista and then use the search bar to search across the shared folders on your home server from your home computer

Thursday, June 12, 2008 4:59 PM
  • It depends! If your Clients are Vista, you can get Vista to search files on the server. Otherwise, WHS has the Desktop Search box on the taskbar. However, if you turn off the service, you will find it won't work correctly.

I thought you said you knew where your files were? 

Colin

Thursday, June 12, 2008 5:01 PM

All replies

• Yes, that's correct. It will stop indexing once it's done it's stuff. However, if you really need to stop it, you can RDP into the server, start Task Manager and highlight the service and then End Process.

Colin

Thursday, June 12, 2008 4:48 PM
  • Thank you for your answer.

How do I use the index once it's done?

Thursday, June 12, 2008 4:50 PM
  • There is a search bar when you Remote Access into your home server and you are on the Shared Folders tab.

You can open up the "Shared Folders on Server" shortcut on a PC running Windows Vista and then use the search bar to search across the shared folders on your home server from your home computer

Thursday, June 12, 2008 4:59 PM
  • It depends! If your Clients are Vista, you can get Vista to search files on the server. Otherwise, WHS has the Desktop Search box on the taskbar. However, if you turn off the service, you will find it won't work correctly.

I thought you said you knew where your files were? 

Colin

Thursday, June 12, 2008 5:01 PM
  • Of course I do.... heh...

I'm just curious how the search function works Smile

Will my Vista client use the index on the server even though the search indexer is turned off on my LOCAL Vista machine?

Thursday, June 12, 2008 5:06 PM
  • No

Thursday, June 12, 2008 5:07 PM
  • Oh...

I was sitting there saying to myself "look how fast it's finding my items, this indexing thing might be useful afterall" but had the Windows Search-service disabled on my client...

I guess that proves I don't need the index right now... maybe when I get more than my current 500 GB of data.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 5:13 PM
  •  

I know someone on the board was using Windows Search 4.0 before PP1 (and said he can't get it working now). WS 4.0 is supposed to allow aggregate searches so you can use your clients to search the server's index.
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 7:34 PM
  • Is WS 4.0 included with PP1?

Do I need to update the clients?

Thanks,

Jonas

Thursday, June 12, 2008 7:36 PM