backing up pictures and music from external drive RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

I have 3 computers and all of them have Live One Care installed. 2 computers are vista and the third is an XP Pro. My hub PC (vista) hosts the centralized backup for all computrs in my circle on to an external drive. It also has dedicated external drives for music and prictures. On top of that the user's sertting for music and pictures have been redirected to these external drives. That is, the picture folder is E:\Picures. and the music folder is :- G:\Music. My question is that why will live one care not back up these picture and music files from the external drive? Can we make live one to bakcup these files/folders?

Thanks,

--jeffy15il

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 1:29 AM

Answers

• You can't do this currently, since OneCare will only backup data from internal drives and looks upon external drives as potential targets to store the backups. Actually, though storing such large files on an external disk is fairly common, it's not really recommended due to the high risk of loss, especially configuring portions of a profile in such an unstable way.

Though this kind of configuration has become fairly common, allowing backup from external drives to an internal could create a pathological design where files in one place are backed up to another, which is backed up to the first resulting in a loop. For these reasons, I personally never expect to see such a situation being an allowed configuration, at least not from cheap USB and other 'removable' type drives.

OneCareBear

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 5:10 AM

All replies

• You can't do this currently, since OneCare will only backup data from internal drives and looks upon external drives as potential targets to store the backups. Actually, though storing such large files on an external disk is fairly common, it's not really recommended due to the high risk of loss, especially configuring portions of a profile in such an unstable way.

Though this kind of configuration has become fairly common, allowing backup from external drives to an internal could create a pathological design where files in one place are backed up to another, which is backed up to the first resulting in a loop. For these reasons, I personally never expect to see such a situation being an allowed configuration, at least not from cheap USB and other 'removable' type drives.

OneCareBear

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 5:10 AM
  • I have a simpler requirement. I need to backup files on a Vista C:\ drive and an external USB drive to a 500 GB external USB drive. Your answer seems to confirm the fact that I have not found a way to add the USB data drive to the Backup configuration. Suggestions? Thanks.

Thursday, November 6, 2008 9:37 PM
  • You are correct. Files on the external drive cannot be backed up by OneCare backup. You will need to use a different solution to backup or copy those files to your backup drive. If space isn't an issue, you might want to consider SyncToy, a free utility from Microsoft that you can use to keep pairs of folders synchronized.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52&DisplayLang=en

-steve

Friday, November 7, 2008 4:18 PM