WHS on P4,256 Ram RRS feed

• Question

• Is it Possible to run WHS with only 256 Ram?
    Friday, March 16, 2007 10:39 AM

Answers

• hello cody,

just take a look at the "Getting Started Guide".

On page 6 you find the system requirements and there you can read, that you need at least 512MB of RAM
    to install an run the WHS.

Friday, March 16, 2007 10:46 AM

All replies

• hello cody,

just take a look at the "Getting Started Guide".

On page 6 you find the system requirements and there you can read, that you need at least 512MB of RAM
    to install an run the WHS.

Friday, March 16, 2007 10:46 AM
  • The answer is "possibly".  You won't be able to install with less than 512Mb RAM but some people on these Forums have installed with 512Mb (or more) and then removed RAM post-installation.  It's probably not advisable to attempt doing this - hence the 512Mb RAM Guideline from MS.  You may be able to run WHS with 256Mb RAM (with unknown performance or reliability levels) but you certainly won't be able to install WHS with that amount of memory.

cheers,
    Ben
    Friday, March 16, 2007 11:17 AM
  • I have an AMD Duron at 1GHz running WHS happily in 256Meg RAM. I did however have to put 512 in it to install WHS.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 11:57 AM
  • ok ben,

you're right !!!

the question was "... is it possible to run..." and not "... is it possible to install..."
    but what sence does it make to insert more memory for installation and remove it after installation ???

Friday, March 16, 2007 12:03 PM
  •  sbroeer wrote:
    but what sence does it make to insert more memory for installation and remove it after installation ???

I wouldn't recommend doing it but I can think of two scenarios. (1) to scavenge RAM for use elsewhere or (2) simple experimentation; the "I wonder what would happen if..." test.

cheers,
    Ben
    Friday, March 16, 2007 4:27 PM
  • RAm nowadays is pretty accessible, so given the specs on this P4, you should be able to easily find an affordable solution to increase it... I know it sounds obvious, but just the other day I was shopping for parts for my server, and was really impressed by how cheap you can buy relativelly old generation parts...
    Friday, March 16, 2007 8:39 PM
  • Got a Athlon 850 with 382MB and WHS stopped installation. However, the win2003 setup on the DVD worked . It's working fine but some WHS functionality seems missing.....
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 5:21 PM