Six computers show up in My Circle but not a seventh. RRS feed

• Question

•  

I had and still have a computer that does not show up in My Circle even though earlier this week I added a new computer to my circle that showed up immediately and brings my circle total to six computers. I should have two subscriptions to accomplish this.  I would like the computer, that did not show up in my circle prior to adding the last one, to show up. I am willing to purchase another 3 users subscription to accomplish this.  The non showing computer has the same subscription Id as the others that show up. How can I get the seventh computer tp show up?  Thanks
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 12:32 PM

Answers

• The concept of the Circle is that all computers activated with the same LiveID (in the same environment - paid subscription is one environment, beta subscription is another environment , so any PCs using the current 2.5 public beta won't show up in a subscription Circle) are part of a Circle.

Why a PC doesn't show up in a Circle can be due to the following:

1. Not activated with the same subscription LiveID as the rest of the Circle

2. A communication problem between the PC and the OneCare servers

3. A subscription/profile problem on the server

4. Other unknown cause

In your case, with 7 computers, you actually need to have a total of 3 subscriptions - each with a different LiveID, so no hub PC would ever show all 7 PCs. You can have 3+3+1, 2+2+3, but not greater than 3 on a single subscription. That isn't a technical limitation for OneCare, but a license issue for Billing at this point. And, yes, this is a major complaint and request from many people who desire the ability to purchase additional licenses for more PCs to add to a single subscription. That just isn't available right now.

So, you will need to remove 3 PCs from your existing Circle and possibly reinstall on the 7th that is currently not appearing in your Circle. Then, create 2 more LiveIDs and reinstall OneCare on the 4 PCs, activating them with the purchase of 2 more subscriptions, with no more than 3 PCs in either of the new subscriptions.

If, at that time, PC number 7 still doesn't appear in its new Circle, we'll need to look at why that is based on the list of possibilities above.

-steve

Thursday, May 1, 2008 2:27 PM

All replies

• The concept of the Circle is that all computers activated with the same LiveID (in the same environment - paid subscription is one environment, beta subscription is another environment , so any PCs using the current 2.5 public beta won't show up in a subscription Circle) are part of a Circle.

4. Other unknown cause

In your case, with 7 computers, you actually need to have a total of 3 subscriptions - each with a different LiveID, so no hub PC would ever show all 7 PCs. You can have 3+3+1, 2+2+3, but not greater than 3 on a single subscription. That isn't a technical limitation for OneCare, but a license issue for Billing at this point. And, yes, this is a major complaint and request from many people who desire the ability to purchase additional licenses for more PCs to add to a single subscription. That just isn't available right now.

So, you will need to remove 3 PCs from your existing Circle and possibly reinstall on the 7th that is currently not appearing in your Circle. Then, create 2 more LiveIDs and reinstall OneCare on the 4 PCs, activating them with the purchase of 2 more subscriptions, with no more than 3 PCs in either of the new subscriptions.

If, at that time, PC number 7 still doesn't appear in its new Circle, we'll need to look at why that is based on the list of possibilities above.

-steve

Thursday, May 1, 2008 2:27 PM

4. Other unknown cause

-steve

I'm just wondering, a year on can you have more than 3 computers on a windows live ID.
    The OneCare website mentions that you can protect up to 25 computers using one windows live ID and without the need for a server.

http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-gb/server/smallbizprotect.htm

Brad
    Monday, March 30, 2009 1:47 AM
  • The reference to 25 PCs is when you are using Windows Live OneCare for Server with a 25 seat site license for the client PCs. A retail subscription to OneCare is still limited to 3 active copies of OneCare per a single subscription/LiveID. This limitation is not likely to be changed.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, March 30, 2009 3:35 PM