none
Network Card? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a gigabit wired network installed with a D-Link gigabit switch and want to use WHS to have all my media files, including TV recordings from media center, etc.  I have tried copying files from media center to the WHS and it is incredibly slow and tends to time out on large (e.g. 1GB) files.  I get speeds of 1 or 2Mb/s.  If I copy between the media center and another computer, it copies 1GB in a couple of minutes

I am currently using the built in network controller on my motherboard.  The motherboard is an IC7-G and and network controller is supposed to use the standard Intel Pro drivers.  WHS doesn't recognise the card so I install the drivers myself and it generally works, other than this issue above. I have tried fiddling with the duplex and speed settings to no avail.

It is very frustrating given large files is exactly why I need a server!  I thought I could buy a separate network controller and use that - does anyone have any recommendations on a good card which is known to work with WHS?

Thanks,

Brian

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 11:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First, replace the nic/cat cable as to be sure it not from the cable (bend cable and a like, lead to poor speed).

Second, disable jumbo packet setting (if that possible in your card).

Third, drivers for the nic card maybe need to be uninstall and reinstall with the correct newest driver ver.

Try to another ports on the switch to conn the WHS cable with (some times, some ports in the switch could be defected).

Finally, Intel based nic card always good choice.

My best.
    Thursday, June 28, 2007 8:00 AM
  • Thanks for the response.  My network card already had jumbo packets disabled.  I have tried a different cable and a different network port.  I have also reinstalled the drivers a number of times.

I even tried copying 2 1GB files - one from my media center to my WHS and the other from the media center to my desktop.  The MC-Desktop completed in a minute or two whereas the WHS was still going after several minutes.

However, I just had another thought and tried copying the files across the network from the media center to a USB drive attached to my server and that completed in 40secs - the network card must be fine - it's hard drive configuration.  I have an AMCC 3ware RAID controller operating in RAID5 mode with 4x500GB disks.  Could this be the issue?  I thought RAID5 would speed things up, particularly with a dedicated hardware controller?

Thanks!

Brian

Thursday, June 28, 2007 8:19 AM
  •  bdo21 wrote:

Thanks for the response. My network card already had jumbo packets disabled. I have tried a different cable and a different network port. I have also reinstalled the drivers a number of times.

I even tried copying 2 1GB files - one from my media center to my WHS and the other from the media center to my desktop. The MC-Desktop completed in a minute or two whereas the WHS was still going after several minutes.

However, I just had another thought and tried copying the files across the network from the media center to a USB drive attached to my server and that completed in 40secs - the network card must be fine - it's hard drive configuration. I have an AMCC 3ware RAID controller operating in RAID5 mode with 4x500GB disks. Could this be the issue? I thought RAID5 would speed things up, particularly with a dedicated hardware controller?

Thanks!

Brian

It depend on the "active" operational of the raid controller, some time "read" will be in slow spped if the controller doing internal opertional.

As in general, slow speed always rise in some RAID 5 controller, what brand the controller?

Edit: ah, sorry I see you already post the brand "AMCC 3ware RAID" <-- good brand tho.
    Thursday, June 28, 2007 8:49 AM
  • Also if update for the controller frimware/drivers could help the issue, sound the problem within the controller.

My best.
    Thursday, June 28, 2007 9:11 AM