XP Pro License Key, Different Install CD RRS feed

• Question

• My oldest computer is running XP Pro.

One of the memory modules went bad and Kaspersky started deleting programs and dll's that it thought were infected. I replaced the memory module but no longer trust the integrity of the files on my hard disk.

I tried to reinstall XP Pro, but it complains that one of the files on the original CD is corrupted.

I have three valid XP Pro Installation disks from previous build for this and two other computers that have since been decommissioned. Each disk envelope was marked with the computer that it was installed on (DAD, MOM, KIDS).

My question is: Can I use a good install disk from one of my other old computers with the proper license key that came with the now corrupted CD?

Thanks,

Don

Sunday, May 15, 2011 7:19 PM

Answers

• "DonMcC" wrote in message news:cc010ff8-96c9-401a-a3ee-2327cada166f...

My oldest computer is running XP Pro.

One of the memory modules went bad and Kaspersky started deleting programs and dll's that it thought were infected. I replaced the memory module but no longer trust the integrity of the files on my hard disk.

I tried to reinstall XP Pro, but it complains that one of the files on the original CD is corrupted.

I have three valid XP Pro Installation disks from previous build for this and two other computers that have since been decommissioned. Each disk envelope was marked with the computer that it was installed on (DAD, MOM, KIDS).

My question is: Can I use a good install disk from one of my other old computers with the proper license key that came with the now corrupted CD?

Thanks,

Don

(Wrong forum really - but...)
    So long as the CD's are OEM System Builder or Retail disks, then yes - if they are OEM Recovery disks, then the chances are that they won't work, and will have the wrong drivers even if they do work.

Please post  any further queries in the XP Answers Install forums, where you will get the best advice....

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 7:32 PM

All replies

• "DonMcC" wrote in message news:cc010ff8-96c9-401a-a3ee-2327cada166f...

My oldest computer is running XP Pro.

Thanks,

Don

(Wrong forum really - but...)
    So long as the CD's are OEM System Builder or Retail disks, then yes - if they are OEM Recovery disks, then the chances are that they won't work, and will have the wrong drivers even if they do work.

Please post  any further queries in the XP Answers Install forums, where you will get the best advice....

--

Sunday, May 15, 2011 7:32 PM
  • They are all OEM full install disks - had to buy hardware with them when originally purchased.

Sunday, May 15, 2011 7:47 PM
  • "DonMcC" wrote in message news:f4a95809-d2f0-426b-be96-221a90a85f65...

They are all OEM full install disks - had to buy hardware with them when originally purchased.

They should work fine then :)

--

Sunday, May 15, 2011 8:01 PM
  • Thanks,

I want to format HD during the install and didn't want to run into licensing problems. Will use original key so hopefully no authentication problems (same exact hardware as nefore).

Computer is still useable as is, I mostly use it for WinTV displaying my outside security camera but want to clean it up and let my daughter have it.

Don

Monday, May 16, 2011 12:15 PM
  • "DonMcC" wrote in message news:dfd116c4-f9dd-46d0-b4a7-8578e61da077...

....let my daughter have it.

Don

Ouch!
    <vbeg>
    (sorry - couldn't resist!)
    You shouldn't have any problem.

--

Monday, May 16, 2011 8:34 PM