none
Remove folders/files from existing backups? RRS feed

• Question

• Few quick questions.  These seem fairly difficult to search on so I haven't been able to find the answers by searching the forums.  But my apologies if these have been answered already. 

1) If I have a client that has been backed up regularly for months and then I add a new folder exclusion, will it remove the data from that folder from existing (past) backups?  I think the answer is "no", but I'm not home and can't validate this at the moment. 

2) If the answer is "no", is there another way to remove certain folders from the existing backup pool?  (without deleting entire backups)

My scenario is this:  I've noticed that I have WHS backing up several large files (totaling over 100 gigs) from various clients, however these files are also stored in the WHS Shared Folder space, so it's unnecessary for them to be backed up regularly.  I'd like to clear this space out from the backup pool, but I don't want to delete all of the backups.  Is there a way to do this?  

Thanks in advance,
    Aaron
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:33 PM

Answers

• No, and no. A backup is a snapshot at a point in time; there's no way to cut a piece out of it "after the fact". To get rid of a large folder, you would have to remove all backups that contain it (possibly a dozen or more) then run the backup cleanup wizard.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by awp0 Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:08 PM
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:47 PM

All replies

• No, and no. A backup is a snapshot at a point in time; there's no way to cut a piece out of it "after the fact". To get rid of a large folder, you would have to remove all backups that contain it (possibly a dozen or more) then run the backup cleanup wizard.
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by awp0 Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:08 PM
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:47 PM
  • Ouch, I was afraid of that (but not surprised).  That sucks, but I suppose it would be a dangerous feature (allow users to remove important files that could ruin the restore functionality).

Thanks!
    Aaron
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:08 PM
  • Not so much dangerous as confusing, and not something that the target audience (who aren't technically inclined) is ever likely to want to do anyway.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:47 PM