Media Streaming from Vail RC1 to Netgear EVA8000HD Media Player RRS feed

• Question

• I have eventually succeeded in getting my Netgear EVA8000 to find the Media shares on the WHS (after having to do a factory reset to clear out old shares from WHS1), but I am unable to set a location for it to store its library. I have enabled a Guest account as I did on WHS1.0 and created a share called EVA8000 with read/write for its library, but it continually states it cannot write to this share. I have even given it the Public share which is read/write for everyone but still it will not write to it. If I ignore the request it starts to read the media files and after a few hundred it gives up, presumably as it has filled its onboard memory and has nowhere to store it. 

I have done exactly the same procedure as I have many times on the WHS1 with complete success, so what is that different to Vail or have I missed something. I thought Vail should have been much easier, but it certainly is not.

Any help is appreciated, before I revert back to WHS1 which just simply worked as this is my one major reason for the server in the first place, to be able to stream my media to the lounge.

Colin

Friday, February 11, 2011 3:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Colin,

There are two places to check for the write permissions.

The first place to check is at the share level. Go to Administrative Tools and open up Computer Management. Expand the Shared Folders and click on the Shares folder. Right click on your EVA8000 share and choose properties. Go to the Share Permissions tab and make sure that your Guest account has Read and Change permissions.

Next, check the folder permissions. If the folder that share EVA8000 points to is F:\EVA8000, navigate to the F:\EVA8000 directory, right click on it and choose properties. Go the the Security tab and make sure that the Guest account has Modify permissions.

I hope this helps.

TB

Friday, February 11, 2011 8:52 PM
  • Thanks for your suggestion so I have tried that and everything is as you stated already, but it still does not work.

But thanks for the help anyway.

Colin

Edit:

I notice that the Netgear EVA8000 does actually write to its share for its library location as it create an empty folder called "pvrdata" and an empty text file called "tst032306", but after doing a full scan for media it gets to about 2,400 files and times out and the screen goes blank but the EVA8000 remains on. After forcing it to shut down and after a restart it comes up with this:

"\\SERVER\EVA8000\library"

Warning: Your media library loacation is no longer accessible on your network. This location is used to store your media library and preferences and helps speed up media scanning.

Do you want to

Try accessing this location again

Choose another location

Ignore this error and continue.

If I try another share such as Public which has full access for everyone it still creates that same empty folder and empty text file. The problem must be with the Vail RC1 server as the Netgear was perfect on the WHS1.

I require urgent help on this as I have stated this is my main use use for the server and if it cannot stream media then it is of no use to me whatsoever and I will have to re-purchase another WHS1 while they are still available as I gave my original to a friend which is working perfectly or just purchase a NAS.

Colin

Friday, February 11, 2011 11:00 PM
  • Thanks for your suggestion so I have tried that and everything is as you stated already, but it still does not work.

But thanks for the help anyway.

Colin

Edit:

I notice that the Netgear EVA8000 does actually write to its share for its library location as it create an empty folder called "pvrdata" and an empty text file called "tst032306", but after doing a full scan for media it gets to about 2,400 files and times out and the screen goes blank but the EVA8000 remains on. After forcing it to shut down and after a restart it comes up with this:

"\\SERVER\EVA8000\library"

Warning: Your media library loacation is no longer accessible on your network. This location is used to store your media library and preferences and helps speed up media scanning.

Do you want to

Try accessing this location again

Choose another location

Ignore this error and continue.

If I try another share such as Public which has full access for everyone it still creates that same empty folder and empty text file. The problem must be with the Vail RC1 server as the Netgear was perfect on the WHS1.

I require urgent help on this as I have stated this is my main use use for the server and if it cannot stream media then it is of no use to me whatsoever and I will have to re-purchase another WHS1 while they are still available as I gave my original to a friend which is working perfectly or just purchase a NAS.

Colin

Bump
    Friday, February 18, 2011 11:44 PM