none
Assisted Answer?!?!

Question

• I propose that the forums be enhanced so that certain posts can be marked as "Assisted Answer" or something like that similar to what can be seen at Experts Exchange. http://www.experts-exchange.com/   It would allow us to mark posts as having beneficial information such as how to workaround a problem or another step that may be needed to resolve the problem.  I think it would be especially useful for threads that the creator does not feel is closed, but a specific post has beneficial information that may help others.  (Of course this does not mean that all post in a thread should receive this marking as then it would be meaningless)

What does everyone think???

Mark

• Changed type Seradex Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:49 AM Thought I was trying to be helpful, proposing a change for more forum functionality. :(
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 11:59 PM

All replies

• If a post has helpful info (but not necessarily an answer), you should vote that it is "Helpful"
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 3:52 AM
  • That is strange I looked at the vote option for my post and I only saw "Post is abusive" so I didn't think it was very helpful.  Why would anyone want to mark their own post as abusive anyway?  Shouldn't we be able to mark our own posts as "helpful" since we may come across info from another source that may not be the best solution, but may be useful for others?

That does appear to be what I was looking for doh!  I think it would be better though if it made the post stand out more, like "Mark as Answer" does.
    • Edited by Seradex Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:52 AM update - own posts.
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:48 AM
  • You're not allowed to mark your own post helpful. I would assume that you believe your own post to be helpful, or else you wouldn't post it.

Good point about abusive though.
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 1:28 AM
  • What about the ability to "Request to Mark as helpful" for your own posts, specifically for when others are searching for solutions to their problem.  Just a thought.  I suppose we could always ask in the message that a moderator mark our post as helpful.
    Friday, June 20, 2008 12:02 AM
  • The tooltip for Past was helpful still says "Vote as helpful or abusive".
    I still think it would be useful for others if you can mark your own posts as helpful or useful in some way as I am not the only person that reads my threads.
    Is it possible that others can mark my post as helpful?
    • Edited by Seradex Tuesday, September 30, 2008 5:40 PM
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 5:39 PM
  • 1) on the tooltip, I have a bug to fix that one...
    2) Yes, others SHOULD mark your post as helpful if they find it so. I would think that you would beleive your own post would be helpful, or else you wouldn't post it...
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 11:50 PM