Changing drives RRS feed

• Question

• I have four ATA drives in my server and am using all available ATA connections.  If I want to remove one of the smaller drives (say drive X) and replace it with a larger one (say drive Y), can I do it by:

1. Powering down the server
     2. Converting Drive X to an external USB drive by installing it in an enclosure
     3. Installing Drive Y in Drive X's old location
     4. Powering up the server and adding Drive Y
     5. Using the Remove Drive wizard to remove Drive X

Specifially, can a drive be moved from an internal ATA controller to an external USB enclosure without going through the remove/add process?

Thanks,
    Vern
    Thursday, December 13, 2007 2:22 AM

Answers

• I doubt that would work as written. First, some folks have reported that they were able to move a drive from one connector to a different one of the same type and have WHS find it, but moving from an internal to an external mounting usually changes the type of connection as far as the operating system is concerned. Second, you're removing a drive physically without removing it from the storage pool, which will leave WHS complaining about the missing drive.

You should use the console to remove drive X first, then replace it with drive Y.
    Thursday, December 13, 2007 3:02 AM
  • The message you would get, is a critical network health warning on your red WHS icon and a message that a drive has failed.

Colin

Friday, December 14, 2007 8:42 PM

All replies

• I doubt that would work as written. First, some folks have reported that they were able to move a drive from one connector to a different one of the same type and have WHS find it, but moving from an internal to an external mounting usually changes the type of connection as far as the operating system is concerned. Second, you're removing a drive physically without removing it from the storage pool, which will leave WHS complaining about the missing drive.

You should use the console to remove drive X first, then replace it with drive Y.
    Thursday, December 13, 2007 3:02 AM
  • Thanks, Ken

I was hoping WHS wouldn't see Drive X as missing, since it would be there in the external enclosure when WHS was powered back up. But I understand your point about it being a different connection type.  That means I need to change it out before I get close to being out of storage so that there's room on the other drives to offload it during the removal process.

Vern
    Thursday, December 13, 2007 3:12 AM
  •  

what kind of complain do you get from the console if there is a missing drive???

Thursday, December 13, 2007 5:54 AM
  • The message you would get, is a critical network health warning on your red WHS icon and a message that a drive has failed.

Colin

Friday, December 14, 2007 8:42 PM