WHS lost my computer after restoration of a new hard drive? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently replaced 3 smaller drives with one larger drive on my workstation.  I used WHS to restore the boot disk/files from the primary boot drive, and create a partition and load a second drive's backup onto the partition.  Then I opened the most recent backup on the WHS server to copy files from the third drive onto the new drive.  All this worked well.

My problem is that my configuration has changed, but when I use the WHS Console to configure backup for the new configuration, I get an error message that says:

"This computer is not online or Windows Home Server cannot access the computer's hard drive.  Please make sure the computer is powered on and connected to your home network"

Of course, I used the console on the restored computer to access the WHS server, so it is obviously connected, and my other computers get the warning message that my workstation has a changed configuration that needs to be re-set on the server, so I think the server sees my workstation too.  But clearly something is out of sync!

My first attempt at a solution was to reload the Connector software on my workstation.  This appeared to have worked successfully (success message after install), but when I access the server, again I get the same error message.

I rebooted the server, but same issue.  I am using Windows XP Service Pack3 on my workstation, and WHS Server with Power Pack 3 on the server V.6.0.2423.0

What should I do next to fix this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Phil
    • Changed type kariya21Moderator Saturday, January 2, 2010 3:54 AM technical question
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 8:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• I just ran in to this myself, and just found that we're not alone.
    I was thinking about removing the connector, and according to this article I just found it seems like that's the only sollution.

http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2009/11/07/how-to-fix-windows-home-server-when-it-cannot-access-the-computers-hard-drive/

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, January 2, 2010 3:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by PFAnderson Monday, January 4, 2010 2:07 AM
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 10:47 AM
  • I independently reached the same conclusion.  Probably a good thing, since it is forcing me to back up my backups from the server.  I doubt there is anything in my 2-yrs old early backups that I need, but I worry about deleting my saved monthly backups.  I need to get over it and just bite the bullet.  All my data is secure, which is what is important.  I wish I didn't have to delete my history, but I guess it is the only way to get back to having daily backups to WHS.

Thanks for your suggestion.  I'll post my results to this thread.

Phil
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 5:13 PM
  • I just completed this on my computer. I had to remove the connector software on the computer, remove the computer from the Computer & backup-list in the console and perform a backup cleanup before I was able to reinstall the connector again. I ran a manual backup afterwards which worked well.
    As you mentioned that you have been changing drives, I would suggest that you make sure you have the correct drive letters on the client before you perform the new backup as I'm not sure if changing it afterwards would affect the backup in any way.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 5:39 PM
  • Well, this worked for me too.  I...

1. Made a backup of the HDD (using the free download from Western Digital of Acronis True Image) just as a extra safety step

2. Removed the connector software from my desktop computer

3. Removed my desktop computer from the WHS list of computers (this did destroy all my historical backups)
        * Also for safety, I made a copy of the WHS database first, which took hours to complete!?  That would give me some potential access to my backups in case there was something there I need from two years ago when I started using WHS

4. Ran the Backup Cleanup utility on WHS.  This did take it an hour or so as stated in the manual

5. Reinstalled Home Connector software on my desktop

6. Set up my "new" computer on the WHS list of backed up computers.

Finally all was "green" in my status icon and I was back to having nightly backup!

thanks for your help!

Phil
    Monday, January 4, 2010 2:16 AM