.cr2 Raw files - how do I tell WHS that they are photos? RRS feed

• Question

• Just got my HP MediaSmart set up & running, completed the first round of back ups.
    I've done all the software updates, everything seems to be running smoothly - EXCEPT:
    how do I tell WHS to read .cr2's as photos? Is there a way to tell WHS which extensions it can file under which type of folder (specifically the shared folders).
    I use my MediaSmart primarily for backup, but I would also like network access to some of these files - especially the .cr2's

Is there a way to make this happen?

Thank you in advance.

Matthew
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:34 AM

Answers

• Are you talking about HP Media Collector?  HP Media Collector will only collect media files with certain extensions, JPG, GIF, PNG etc.  It doesn't collect files ending in .cr2, .raw or .nef and has no option to add extensions. 

You should contact HP and ask them to add this functionality in the next release - they probably won't do it just because *you* ask but if they get enough
    requests I would certainly think they would consider it. 

If you want network access to these files then you can manually copy them to the Photos Folder.

--
    • Proposed as answer by Al West Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:53 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 10:59 AM

All replies

• Are you talking about HP Media Collector?  HP Media Collector will only collect media files with certain extensions, JPG, GIF, PNG etc.  It doesn't collect files ending in .cr2, .raw or .nef and has no option to add extensions. 

You should contact HP and ask them to add this functionality in the next release - they probably won't do it just because *you* ask but if they get enough
    requests I would certainly think they would consider it. 

If you want network access to these files then you can manually copy them to the Photos Folder.

--
    • Proposed as answer by Al West Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:53 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 10:59 AM
  • it seems like this just became a 2 step process - one automatic backup, the other a manual sync (probably using sync toy) to put things into sharable folders...that's a let down.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 2:54 PM
  • There is an unfortunate lack of CR2 support - as far as I know Canon still has not issued any 64Bit RAW converter for Vista or Windows 7 just as a side notice.

Installing the 32 Bit converter on the server would be unsupported and not much help unless you are using your server as desktop, which is not part of the license. I also would assume, that this would slow down applications, which notice the format as valid for pictures. Some 3rd party tools provide better performance, but are also not supported on a server.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 9:11 PM
  • Installing the raw converter also won't help with the OP's problem, which is that the HP media collector doesn't know what a CR2 file is.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:18 AM