WHS Installation Stuck at 13 Minutes Remaining! RRS feed

• Question

• Alright, first of all I've searched around and found people with similar problems, but no real solutions.

I am trying to install Windows Home Server on a new machine.

The installation goes smoothly until it gets towards the end and displays "Registering Components".  It gets about half way through the progress bar, then stalls at "13 Minutes Remaining".

Hard drive activity before this point if frantic, slowing until it gets to this point, then virtually stops.  The HDD LED seems to flash about once every minute or two at this point.

The others that have experienced this say to just wait for it to finish.

I have waited for over 3 hours and it has made no progress.

Does anybody have any suggestions?  I have gone through this 3 times now, waiting up to 3 hours this time for the install to complete!

I find it very annoying that I am experiencing so many problems simply installing WHS.  I already had to swap in an IDE DVD drive since WHS didn't like the SATA one I was using.

Thanks in advance!
    Vince

Friday, January 8, 2010 7:16 PM

Answers

• Have you got all connectors fastened properly, Also are you sure the HDD that WHS is installing on is a healthy Drive, and that it aint failing. Also can u tell me, is your DVD a trial copy Downloaded from MS or is it a OEM version bought from somewhere like Amazon, because if its Downloaded and u have burned it to disc then it may be the Disc you used.

HMG
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 12:40 AM

All replies

• hi Suzukidragracer,

I've installed WHS smoothly recently, and faced no such problem at all.
    Perhaps "13" is not a lucky number.
    I was going to suggest you retry to reinstall, but you already mentioned that you tried 3 times, and in the last time you waited so long (3 hours) ..
    I guess you really did your best, but WHS still didn't want to work with you at all.
    hope you find a solution soon.
    Friday, January 8, 2010 10:36 PM
  • Have you got all connectors fastened properly, Also are you sure the HDD that WHS is installing on is a healthy Drive, and that it aint failing. Also can u tell me, is your DVD a trial copy Downloaded from MS or is it a OEM version bought from somewhere like Amazon, because if its Downloaded and u have burned it to disc then it may be the Disc you used.

HMG
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 12:40 AM