Question Regarding Contact Relationship RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Forum,

Recently, we had discussion about how Customer entity works in CRM. (We are still on CRM 2011).

Topic of discussion was how Contact entity was related to Account and other entity. As part of this exercise, we browsed following page on MSDN.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg309704(v=crm.5).aspx 

In above link, under Contact explanation there is first bullet point which says:

"A contact can be a parent to every other entity except accounts and contacts".

This is a disputed line among few of our developers. Couple of them thinks a Contact can be a parent of another Contact/Account which they have demonstrated by creating a Contact record in CRM and populated Parent Customer field with another Contact in the system.

It was as simple is that.

This defined that "Contact" selected in "Parent Customer" filed become parent of the contact opened in the form.

Can any of the expert explain what's the correct interpretation of that first bullet point ?

Have we completely misunderstood the explanation from MSDN link?

Also, I would like to know the role of Primary Contact field. Correct me if I am wrong, but that field is completely different  relationship as multiple Account can have same Primary Contact but one Contact can only have one Parent.

Hope this make sense. :)

Thank you.

J.Bach

• Edited by CRM Thirsty Tuesday, February 17, 2015 8:45 PM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2015 8:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Refer to paragraph above this. Article refers to what is contact in logical manner. Physical person who you deal with. For that it makes sense from what the article says.

It is correct that you can use Parent Customer to link contact to Account OR Contact. Would put suggestion to support team to consider simplifying the page.

Hope this helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
     Minal Dahiya
     blog : http://minaldahiya.blogspot.com.au/

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Vote as Helpful"

• Marked as answer by CRM Thirsty Thursday, February 19, 2015 12:04 AM
    Wednesday, February 18, 2015 8:19 AM
  • All lookups on an entity are links to parent entity. Therefore account lookup on contact is parent account and contact lookup on account is parent contact. The statement above might justify the way Microsoft has designed CRM. However it is not true. We can make account child of contact by createing N:1 custom relationship. In real world where one contact can work for many organisations then the built in relationship won't work. We will either have to create a many to many relationship between contact and account or we will have to add an intermediate entity to make many to many relationship.

Regards Faisal

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 1:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Refer to paragraph above this. Article refers to what is contact in logical manner. Physical person who you deal with. For that it makes sense from what the article says.

It is correct that you can use Parent Customer to link contact to Account OR Contact. Would put suggestion to support team to consider simplifying the page.

Hope this helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
     Minal Dahiya
     blog : http://minaldahiya.blogspot.com.au/

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Vote as Helpful"

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 8:19 AM
  • All lookups on an entity are links to parent entity. Therefore account lookup on contact is parent account and contact lookup on account is parent contact. The statement above might justify the way Microsoft has designed CRM. However it is not true. We can make account child of contact by createing N:1 custom relationship. In real world where one contact can work for many organisations then the built in relationship won't work. We will either have to create a many to many relationship between contact and account or we will have to add an intermediate entity to make many to many relationship.

Regards Faisal

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 1:01 PM
  • Thank you Minal and Faisal for your explanations.

@Faisal:  I am on the same page as you on this discussion.

@Minal: Being a Business Analyst to my organisation, I think my interpretation on this subject against developers is always going to vary.

As in BA role, it is imperative for me to take logical behaviour/process of any business in form of requirement document and converting into the functional/design specs to take it to the development phase, which CRM should be able accommodate as per it's documentation. (i.e. above MSDN link). Hope this will be rectify soon, thanks to your initiative.

Regards,

J.Bach

Thursday, February 19, 2015 12:04 AM