Help explaining the "there is not enough disk space" error... RRS feed

• Question

• I don't understand this.  My WHS runs 9 drives (including the system drive) for a total of 9.78 TB with 3.61 TB free.   My system drive is 931 GB with 710 GB free.  I am trying to copy a file that is 45 GB max.   

I have more than enough storage space for the file.  Yet, in Windows XP, I keep getting the same exact error over and over again.

What am I doing wrong here, and how can I fix it?
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 3:46 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    did you apply the latest Update for Windows Home Server (KB957825), which was intended to fix this problem (that the size of files you can copy at one block is limited by the free space available on drive D: of the server)?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 8:20 AM
  • Yes, all the updates are installed.
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:52 PM
  • So if you share a folder on your client PC with that file in it, login to your WHS locally, open that share and try now to copy via shortcut Shared folder on Server to a share, would that work?
    Did you create the share, which you wish to use as copy target, within the WHS console?
    If you enable Details in your clients explorer, how much free space is shown, if you assign a network drive to the target share?
    Or open a command prompt on your client and enter
    dir \\server\fotos
    (replace server with the real name of your server). The last line of the output should show the available free space. 
    You could also try to copy from command line circumventing the Explorer check of free space, syntax like
    xcopy filename.xyz \\server\share\subfolder

(Also be aware, not always such messages are related to the free space, also other problems on source or target can cause such error messages.)
    Olaf
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 1:11 PM
  • Thanks for the advice.  I think it has something to do with Disk Migrator because I have 9 drives, yet only 3 of them are full.  The other 6 drives are empty.  It seems that the data is not being spread across the jobs.

I am in the process of removing a drive from the server and then adding a bigger drive.  I am hoping that the removal of the drive will force disk migrator to do its thing and hopefully allow me to copy files to the server.
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 8:38 PM
  • sevendustweb said:

Thanks for the advice.  I think it has something to do with Disk Migrator because I have 9 drives, yet only 3 of them are full.  The other 6 drives are empty.  It seems that the data is not being spread across the jobs.

That is normal behavior.  DE writes to the secondary drive with the least free space first.

sevendustweb said:

I am in the process of removing a drive from the server and then adding a bigger drive.  I am hoping that the removal of the drive will force disk migrator to do its thing and hopefully allow me to copy files to the server.

Did you try any of Olaf's suggestions?  If so, what were the results?

Saturday, December 6, 2008 8:48 PM
  • Hi,

WHS doesn't spread files across drives, it tries to keep all related files together (for example, a CD), and also places them on the drive with the least free space but enough to meet the first part. It wil only go on to the next drive after that, while leaving a small amount of free space on each (nearly) full drive to allow for expansion. The technical explanation for Drive Extender is available here.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 8:51 PM
  • Why is this still a problem? I thought the latest fix addresses this? I am having the same problem. I still am getting the not enough disk space errors when ripping BD on WHS even though I have 2.5GB of disk space available.

I notice when My Movies add-in starts the rip, WHS attempts to save the .iso on a drive that only has 15-20GB available other then the drives that have a ton of space. When a transfer starts, does WHS know how large the file is and attempt to put it on a drive that can handle the space requirements?
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 1:30 AM
  • Hi,
    how do you rip exactly? On the server or from a client? In the first case (which is also not a supported scenario), if you do not write the file to the UNC path, but directly to the D: drive, the disk may run full. Or the message may be related to the WHS system drive, if the software you are using is trying to store it's temporary files there.
    Olaf
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 1:42 AM
  • My system drive has 800GB of free space available. I have ripped from both the server and client with the same issue. I know that ripping BD from the server is not supported but works great (other than this issue) with the added UDF 2.5 driver.
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 3:13 AM
  • Hi,
    as system drive I mean drive C: on the server - which is usually limited to 20 GByte.
    Another issue, which could create such a message even if enough space is available, would be writing to the server with a user context, which has no write permissions to the target path.

Olaf
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 8:47 AM
  • There is a difference between copying a file and ripping a DVD (or CD, or BD). Windows can identify the file size in the former case. In the latter, the software being used to rip the disk probably only opens the file, then extends it as needed until it's done. As a result, Windows Home Server may choose to place the file on a drive that's almost full, and the ripping process then runs out of space.

As for ripping directly on the server, I don't use My Movies, but it's possible that it uses the C: partition as a buffer while ripping. That partition is limited to 20 GB.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 6:38 PM