Can someone make a printer/fax add-in? RRS feed

• Question

• This would simply allow a console user to add/delete/manage new/existing printers and fax modems installed on the server.  Currently there is only the way of breaking into the menu by ctrl-alt-end to open another program in order to get the start menu to show so you can access the control panel for such functions.

I have to imagine a lot of people will want to use their WHS box for shared print or fax services.  Anyone?

Friday, July 13, 2007 2:15 PM

All replies

• Well, I've got to throw a fly in your ointment, I'm afraid. Smile

I love the idea. The big problem I see is that most people will be wanting to install a consumer printer for which WHS may not have a built in driver, and consumer printer driver packages are notorious for containing huge amounts of bloatware and doing non-standard things during the installation process. So you won't have an easy way of controlling the installation. I've installed a couple of printers on my WHS, and getting one of them to install just the driver was a real struggle. I can't imagine an add-in that could control that process for any significant fraction of the printers that are available.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 3:41 PM