"The computer cannot be added to Windows Home Server" error message when installing second computer RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday I got PowerPack 1 installed on my HP MediaSmart Server and then installed the updated Home Server Connector on my Vista 64-Bit Ultimate computer, so I thought I was home free.

Then I tried installing the Home Server Connector on another computer (Vista 32-Bit Ultimate).  I can connect to the server and get to the Software folder, and I have an account set up on the server for this second machine.  When I run the home connector software, it looks like it installs everything, then it asks me to provide the admin password for the server, which I do, then I get the following error:

"This computer cannot be added to Windows Home Server

Your user account does not have the required access permissions to install the security certificate"

I'm running setup.exe as administrator, and I also tried running WHSConnectorInstall directly as administrator with the same results.  The account I'm running on is Vista 32-bit machine is an administrator account.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I really want to get some additional machines connected to this server :-)

-Eric

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 1:59 PM

Answers

• Eric,

Did you submit a bug via connect with a CAB number for your logs from the PC and the home server generated by the Toolkit as documented in the Release Documentation. 

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 2:46 PM

All replies

• Eric,

Did you submit a bug via connect with a CAB number for your logs from the PC and the home server generated by the Toolkit as documented in the Release Documentation. 

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 2:46 PM
  • No, not yet.  I wanted to make sure it wasn't something I was doing incorrectly first.

I also tried disabling UAC and that didn't help, so I'll go through the documentation this evening to find out what I need to do and provide to report this as a bug.

Thanks!

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:00 PM
  • I'm having the same issue too. Does anybody know how to fix this? I have power pack 1.

Saturday, July 26, 2008 2:31 PM
  • I was able to identify what the issue was based upon the event log entry

Cryptographic Parameters:

Provider Name: Microsoft Software Key Storage Provider

Algorithm Name: Not Available.

Key Name: e0c58e8d-19d4-4be7-aada-fd340f78d0da

Key Type: Machine key.

Cryptographic Operation:

Operation: Open Key.

Return Code: 0x8009000d

It was permission issue for the MachineKeys folder. I gave full control to administrator for the "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys", Voila!! it worked.
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 5:46 PM