WHS System Event Monitor add-in questions RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed the event monitor add-in and was wondering...

1. How do you clear an entry in the Event Log Config Data window? For example I added an entry for System but now do not want to monitor that, ie. I only want to monitor the HomeServer and Security logs.

2. How do you active the WHS Systems Notifications. Its greyed out on my WHS.

Please see the screen shot..

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/ScreenShots/WHS/WHSEventMonitor.jpg

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 5:22 PM

Answers

• I have managed to delete existing entries by selecting the line (click on the grey area to the left of the line) and pressing Delete.

I agree there could be clearer instructions for this or a column to slect entries for deleting.

I have a query though as I am having trouble putting suitable entries into the Source and ID columns. To get any results at all, I have to leave them set to 'All'.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 10:13 PM

All replies

• LOL...

I guess the answer to Item #2 is that this feature is currently Non-functional and that work is in progress to add this feature...

I still want to be able to remove config data entries that I don't want to use any longer though and have not figured out how to do that.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 7:52 PM
  • Well, as far as question #1 is concerned you can manually edit the C:\Program Files\davemercer.org\WHS Event Service\config.xml file to remove the config data settings you no longer need or want. This really needs to be automated in future versions...

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 9:40 PM

• I have managed to delete existing entries by selecting the line (click on the grey area to the left of the line) and pressing Delete.

I agree there could be clearer instructions for this or a column to slect entries for deleting.

I have a query though as I am having trouble putting suitable entries into the Source and ID columns. To get any results at all, I have to leave them set to 'All'.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 10:13 PM
  • Thanks for the clue about the Delete keyboard button. I just never tried that...Duh...

FWIW, I have not tried to filter on specific a Source or ID. If I get a chance to test that over the next few days while on travel I will.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 11:13 AM
  • I have done a bit more experimenting by collecting a few useful events in some emails using 'All' for Source and ID. By putting the InstanceID from a collective email into the ID field, it filters the alerts. However, I can see no logic yet in the InstanceID data - it is just a long numeric string - but it must tie down to something in the Event Log.

What I am trying to do is get my Event Reports down to a couple of essentials - Backup and Remote Login. I think I can now do this but a bit more documentation would be helpful.

My more critical alerts are covered by the REmote Notification add-in.

Friday, December 21, 2007 7:07 AM