customer portal for CRM 2013 available? or 2011 version should work with 2013? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

is there a Customer Portal available (not the full paid Adxstudio Portals 5.0) for CRM 2013 (6.0)?

If not should the 2011 portal version (1.0.0015 / Version:5.0.7    Release Date:6/12/2012) version still work fine with CRM 2013? (latest build 6.0.0001.0061)

thanks

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 9:25 PM

Answers

• To be honest folks, Microsoft has not funded any maintenance for the free version of the portal.  I would recommend you switch to the commercial version of the portal from Adxstudio from which you will receive great support.  The new Adxstudio portals are available in a Saas environment so you no longer have to do your own hosting (assuming you are using CRM Online).  The portals are loaded with features, are based on a modern responsive web design (to support all devices including phones and tablets), and most importantly, the new version this fall includes an app builder that enables you to build complete apps from your CRM data - all WITHOUT coding.  The CMS features in the commercial Adxstudio portal are enterprise grade, with the free portals being practically non-existent.  The commercial portals are high performance and reliable, where the free portal is not.  Frankly, I would not use the free portals for any production system.  I recognize that I am a little biased, but in the end, the difference between the free portals and commercial portals are significant.  Keep in mind the free portals were the minimum you would need to stand up a portal from 4 years ago, where the Adxstudio portals included all of the enterprise features.  But that is not all, Adxstudio has continued to invest in constant development of the commercial portals over the past 4 years and the difference between the free portals and commercial ones are now staggering.  It is like comparing notepad to the entire Office suite now...  Adxstudio is continuing to invest in their flagship product and will continue to offer great support for it and to keep it updated with new versions of CRM.  The free portals are not maintained nor supported.  Do the math...

Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com

• Marked as answer by TSO Thursday, July 9, 2015 6:47 AM
    Saturday, September 13, 2014 4:42 PM

All replies

• An updated one will be coming out soon.  There are some older CRM 4-style javascript customizations, particularly on the campaign entity that will not work with CRM 2013.  It is not hard to fix, but it can block an upgrade and CRM 2013 may refuse to import the solution file.

Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com

Thursday, January 2, 2014 5:09 PM
  • Hi Shan,

Do you have an ETA on the release?

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:33 PM
  • Hi! Really need to update customer portal CRM 2013))) 

WBR

Ad impossibilia nemo obligatur

Sunday, February 9, 2014 12:53 PM
  • An updated one will be coming out soon.  There are some older CRM 4-style javascript customizations, particularly on the campaign entity that will not work with CRM 2013.  It is not hard to fix, but it can block an upgrade and CRM 2013 may refuse to import the solution file.

Hi Shan, any news on this topic?
    Monday, June 2, 2014 10:11 PM
  • Hi Shan / TSO;

I'm very much hoping for a new version real soon too. 

In the meantime, if you are not using the campaign, goal and opportunity entities of CRM then you can continue the upgrade by simply removing all lines containing "2007" in the following 4 web ressources

• msa_campaign_main_library.js
    • msa_campaignresponse_main_library.js
    • MSA_goal_main_library.js 
    • msa_opportunity_main_library.js 

This allowed me to continue a bit (but still blocked by pmdci_FetchCountryName - waiting for Pedro to release a new version). 

Since we do not use the mentioned entities this should in theory be safe to continue with for production but I would really prefer an official release of the managed solution. But at least now I can continue testing and preparing for the real upgrade.

Best regards
    Nicolai W Hjorth

-- Please vote as helpful / mark as answer where appropriate ;)

Monday, June 16, 2014 11:29 AM

Hi Shan,

any update?

Cheers

Friday, August 22, 2014 6:23 PM
  • Any updates?
    Saturday, September 13, 2014 3:27 AM
  • To be honest folks, Microsoft has not funded any maintenance for the free version of the portal.  I would recommend you switch to the commercial version of the portal from Adxstudio from which you will receive great support.  The new Adxstudio portals are available in a Saas environment so you no longer have to do your own hosting (assuming you are using CRM Online).  The portals are loaded with features, are based on a modern responsive web design (to support all devices including phones and tablets), and most importantly, the new version this fall includes an app builder that enables you to build complete apps from your CRM data - all WITHOUT coding.  The CMS features in the commercial Adxstudio portal are enterprise grade, with the free portals being practically non-existent.  The commercial portals are high performance and reliable, where the free portal is not.  Frankly, I would not use the free portals for any production system.  I recognize that I am a little biased, but in the end, the difference between the free portals and commercial portals are significant.  Keep in mind the free portals were the minimum you would need to stand up a portal from 4 years ago, where the Adxstudio portals included all of the enterprise features.  But that is not all, Adxstudio has continued to invest in constant development of the commercial portals over the past 4 years and the difference between the free portals and commercial ones are now staggering.  It is like comparing notepad to the entire Office suite now...  Adxstudio is continuing to invest in their flagship product and will continue to offer great support for it and to keep it updated with new versions of CRM.  The free portals are not maintained nor supported.  Do the math...

• Marked as answer by TSO Thursday, July 9, 2015 6:47 AM
    Saturday, September 13, 2014 4:42 PM
  • While I recognize that the Adxstudio portal is superior when it comes to features and most likely stability, it also comes with a high cost.

We only need a small fraction of the functionality (basically our customers needs to be able to see their cases, create new case and add information to existing open cases).

Currently our customer portal has 55 registered users. 9 of them have been active this month, 20 in total over the last 3 months.

The portal costs between USD 7,140 and 10,265 per year (we would probably need to self-host and have unlimted to cater for sandboxes). That is USD 500+ per user per year. Ain't gonna happen - unless all our customers suddenly find use for it and we get use cases to warrant a lot more functions.

I plan to use the guide at http://www.neudesic.com/blog/crm-portal-technical-example/ to create my own portal with those few simple functions, once we have migrated to CRM 2013 - but yeah, I better try and test our current portal implementation against my CRM 2013 sandbox ;)

The lack of (just basic) customer portal in CRM 2013 is a pity, and surprising for those in our management team that I have talked about it with.

- Nicolai

Monday, September 15, 2014 8:13 AM
  • There is a low cost portal available from CRMVertex (http://crmvertex.com/). Either as a one off or on a subscription basis. It has the functions you want OOB, plus a few more.

They have an Online demo that shows its capabilities.

NB: I do not work for crmvertex.

Kevin Beel

CRM Pre-Sales Consultant. NTT Data UK

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 3:58 PM
  • I am very sorry to hear this, while I do not doubt Adxstudio can deliver, the price makes it rather unattractive to us.

We only use the case access (view, add comment, create new). We have a total of 92 customers that has access, only 55 have been logged in, in 2015.

Sorry to say, but I find it hard to justify spending US$ 11.940 yearly on a service that is used by a maximum of 15 customers per month.

I find it a bit sad that MS does not want to include a basic portal in the standard offering. I understand the needs to protect the partners income but a limited functionality non-supported portal would look good from here ;)

Thursday, July 9, 2015 7:46 AM
  • HI Shan,

in the light of the acquisition by MS (https://www.adxstudio.com/blogs/corporate-news/adxstudio-acquired-by-microsoft/)  does this change the situation of a low cost/free simple portal?

Friday, March 18, 2016 3:34 PM