Remote Access not able to connect to website online or locally... RRS feed

• Question

• Ok so i've been dealing with this thing for 2 days now i'm officially out of ideas to try and make this work.
    I've searched every forum I can find trying to find a solution and i'm seeing a lot of people with problems similar to mine but either there's no solution to this or i'm not understanding the solution.
     I have a pretty good knowledge when it comes to computer systems but networking in a server based system almost seems like a whole new ball park for me. I have set up a static IP address in my local network i've been on the phone with my ISP every other five mins. trying to get some answers and i'm not getting anywhere with that.
    I keep getting told that Charter Communications does not block ports on there end which i know is a lie and that's fine I can live with that since it's out of my hands but what i'm wondering is can I chage windows home server to access different ports so that I can make this work i've gone into computer management and changed the ports from 80 and 443 to 8008 and 8009 but that still doesn't seem to change anything All I want to do is remote access my server so that I can share pictures with my mother of my daughter seems simple enough but obviously isn't.
    If anyone has an idea of what i can do so that I can get this remote access to work that would be great or even point me in the right direction that would be awesome thanks for the help it's really appreciated.
    I have port forwarded the ports in my router and this also doesn't seem to solve the issue.
    • Edited by G33kman Friday, April 3, 2009 7:23 PM Bigger text with some kind of seperation
    Friday, April 3, 2009 7:35 AM

Answers

• Ok so i've been dealing with this thing for 2 days now i'm officially out of ideas to try and make this work.
    I've searched every forum I can find trying to find a solution and i'm seeing a lot of people with problems similar to mine but either there's no solution to this or i'm not understanding the solution.
     I have a pretty good knowledge when it comes to computer systems but networking in a server based system almost seems like a whole new ball park for me. I have set up a static IP address in my local network i've been on the phone with my ISP every other five mins. trying to get some answers and i'm not getting anywhere with that.
    I keep getting told that Charter Communications does not block ports on there end which i know is a lie and that's fine I can live with that since it's out of my hands but what i'm wondering is can I chage windows home server to access different ports so that I can make this work i've gone into computer management and changed the ports from 80 and 443 to 8008 and 8009 but that still doesn't seem to change anything All I want to do is remote access my server so that I can share pictures with my mother of my daughter seems simple enough but obviously isn't.
    If anyone has an idea of what i can do so that I can get this remote access to work that would be great or even point me in the right direction that would be awesome thanks for the help it's really appreciated.
    I have port forwarded the ports in my router and this also doesn't seem to solve the issue.

Please see this post.

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 4:03 PM

All replies

• Sorry, given the small fonts in this forum I give up reading and understanding your posting.
    Please edit it in a way, that you use paragraphs to make it more readable.

Besides that, please post the output of the command
    ipconfig /all
    in both the client and the server.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, April 3, 2009 9:41 AM

Please see this post.

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 4:03 PM