none
MapPoint 2009 Nearby Places database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to find nearby restaurants of a certain location in MapPoint 2009.  I need the restaurants nearby the certain location in the year 2009. 

Per the online descriptions under MapPoint 2009, if you're offline and use the program, then the nearby places should be pulled from the database for the year of the program.  If you're online, then the results are current. 

I know there were restaurants in operation in the 2008-2009 time period but they are not showing up in the results when I'm offline.

Does Microsoft use a general database for nearby places specific for the year (when offline) or do businesses need to do something in order to be included in MapPoint 2009?

Answers ASAP would be greatly appreciated

Saturday, February 9, 2013 5:32 PM

All replies

• They source the data from a third party restaurant database. I don't currently have MapPoint 2009 installed on my computer, but for MapPoint 2010 I believe the POI's were sourced through NAVTEQ. Check the Help file under Getting Started | Welcome to Mappoint | and then Credits.

Data products are always going to be a little out of date and innacurate, I doubt MapPoint 2009 has ANY restaurants that were opened IN 2009 as there is some lag.

I would not at all be surprised if you are finding that restaurants opened in 2007 and 2008 didn't find their way into the database either.

For that matter, I'm sure there are some restaurants that have been open for 20 years that aren't in the product just due to some inaccuracy, or even restaurants that have been CLOSED for 20 years that ARE included.

I'm afraid that to determine exactly how accurate MapPoint 2009's restaurant database is and whether it's suitable for your purposes is going to require some sampling and testing on your end. I actually used to work on a restaurant database, and just to determine how accurate our own product was, we'd pick a small or medium town such as Bloomington, IL and make a ton of phone calls to determine whether restaurants were open or not and if we were missing any. 

I don't think anyone can give you a precise figure like 85% of restaurants opened in 2007 are included in MapPoint 2009, 65% of restaurants opened in 2008 are in MapPoint 2009, etc. but with some sampling and testing you might be able to come up with figure like these.

Eric
    http://www.MapForums.com - Free MapPoint Support

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:51 PM