Windows 7 Install Problems RRS feed

• Question

• I run a DIY box with several dedicated SATA drives for different operating systems.  On my old mobo, I had everything working fine.  I prefer to use the O/S native boot mechanisms and just select a boot drive to pick an O/S rather than using (e.g.) GRUB2 to boot my Win7 Pro installation.  Well, mobo go boom and Windows stopped booting.  When I had to install it originally, I ran into repeated warnings about the installer not being able to install because it was not the system boot disk.  Somehow got around that last time and Windows took over all my O/S boots.  A few minutes with GRUB2 and I had all working fine.  Now, I'm back to having to reinstall Windows 7 Pro again and have this issue.  I'd like to know what's the best way to get my Win7 to A) install on my 3rd SATA drive (/dev/sdc where /dev/sda is a Linux distro and /dev/sdb is a data-only partition) and B) stop WGA exploding every time I need to add/remove RAM, change a mobo, swap a NIC, add another drive with another O/S etc. on this system.  Drives are not using RAID, btw.  These are basically clean O/S installs.

Help and thanks,

Karl

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 5:36 AM

Answers

All replies

• Please repost your inquiry in the more appropriate Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment Forum.  Thank you!
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, March 9, 2011 11:01 PM
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 8:55 AM
  • This forum is for issues relating to the Windows 7 Software Protection Platform - Non-Genuine, validation problems, or software licensing services messages.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 2:49 PM
    Answerer