WHS firewall defaults... RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

i have whs a month ago, after suspecting problem with the firewall i press on the whs to reset its firewall.
    from that moment i can't make the whs to connect to my pc's (using vista ultimate) while the whs firewall is on.
    when i turn it off it all works fine, but i dont feel comfortable leaving my whs without firewall.
    can anyone please let me konw how should i reconfigure my whs to allow other pcs to connect to whs?
    thanks.

p.s.
    on vista and xp, when i reset the firewall, it automaticaly detects settings to allow it to work, why not on whs?
    thanks.
    Monday, March 23, 2009 5:58 AM

Answers

• Resetting the Firewall sets it back to the Windows Server 2003 defaults, since that button is part of the Server 2003 core, while WHS has been put on top as extension.
    Windows Home Server exceptions in the Windows Firewall are in detail documented in the Home Networking technical brief, which you can download from the WHS Support Website. (This may not cover exceptions for special applications from OEMs.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, March 23, 2009 8:46 AM
  • The Home Networking technical brief will give you the exceptions that Windows Home Server requires. If you have an OEM product with additional software included by the manufacturer, you should check with the manufacturer for any ports required, and if you've installed additional software yourself you'll need to consult the documentation for that software.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 23, 2009 11:25 AM
  • Please read Restoring Windows Firewall on WHS.

It provides detailed instructions and you can even download a registry file (bottom of the page) which will help you reset the WHS firewall defaults by simply importing this file into the registry.
    Monday, March 23, 2009 2:25 PM

All replies

• Resetting the Firewall sets it back to the Windows Server 2003 defaults, since that button is part of the Server 2003 core, while WHS has been put on top as extension.
    Windows Home Server exceptions in the Windows Firewall are in detail documented in the Home Networking technical brief, which you can download from the WHS Support Website. (This may not cover exceptions for special applications from OEMs.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, March 23, 2009 8:46 AM
  • The Home Networking technical brief will give you the exceptions that Windows Home Server requires. If you have an OEM product with additional software included by the manufacturer, you should check with the manufacturer for any ports required, and if you've installed additional software yourself you'll need to consult the documentation for that software.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 23, 2009 11:25 AM
  • Please read Restoring Windows Firewall on WHS.

It provides detailed instructions and you can even download a registry file (bottom of the page) which will help you reset the WHS firewall defaults by simply importing this file into the registry.
    Monday, March 23, 2009 2:25 PM