MCE freezes after 2 - 3 minutes RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have had my MCE PC for 2 years and everything was perfect, including all updates.

When I tried installing WGA it went through fine and confirmed that I was running genuine SW.

After a reboot the PC starts fine but freezes completely after about 2-3 minutes, no messages, nothing running, no clues!

It is even possible to run aps, but after a short while, without anything happening, the PC freezes completely!

I tried a complete clean reinstall, updated all drivers but did not run the WGA update and tested --> no problem PC fine, all aps OK; as soon as I ran the WGA update --> same problem.

I am currently running the PC with a clean install, but all updates are turned off and it is fine and stable.

Still trying to resolve the problem:

Looked in the forum --> most people seem to have problems during the WGA update, however, mine runs through fine; PC keeps hanging after that, everytime I reboot!

Ran online WGA tool --> all OK (except Active X tuned off to prevent WGA from installing)

Downloaded WGA DIAG, results below:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-PK8C7-VMQX2-Q767Q
    Windows Product Key Hash: e9BNBZ33JR+T/I6I2hVjd/zkrZg=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2281285-01665
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {12820833-D56D-4B5B-AD83-0288749B1C32}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.18.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.1
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2989-80070002_B4D0AA8B-470-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{12820833-D56D-4B5B-AD83-0288749B1C32}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0066.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-Q767Q</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2281285-01665</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-448539723-651377827-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>NVIDIA</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS/><HWID>C5B5312701844076</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Regards,

Rene

Saturday, January 26, 2008 2:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Rene,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic as well as outside my area of knowledge. I suggest posting your question to the Discussions in Windows XP General Forum newsgroups here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US

If you should have other non-WGA questions please visit our other communities for helpful information here:  http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/community.mspx .  Thank you for visiting the forum.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 6:00 PM
  • This is now the forth time that I have been fobbed off by MS.

This IS a WGA problem!!! Everything is fine when WGA is NOT installed, the problem ONLY occurs when WGA is on the machine.

I will now buy an iMac!

I am also responsible for the purchasing decisions of two companies and as a project manager, I deal with about 200 clients a year. I will recommend Apple computers to each and every of my clients, most of which are executives and high end earners in the city of London.

I realise that this means nothing to MS but it makes me feel a whole lot better!

Also:

VISTA has been voted the "Most disappointing Product of 2007", MS has been voted the company with the least satisfied customers.

In five years the home market will be dominated by Macs, I guess Bill got out just in time.

Saturday, February 2, 2008 12:48 PM
  • RV1961,

The mgadiag utility output report that you posted on Jan 26, 2008 seems to indicate that both components of WGA are installed and operational on that computer.

Validation Status: Genuine  This can only appear in the mgadiag report if the Validation control potion of WGA is installed.

WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.18.1  Signed By: Microsoft  This is showing what version of the WGA Validation control is installed and if the file is cryptographically signed by Microsoft.  Again, you only get this if the Validation control portion of WGA is installed.

File Exists: Yes Version: 1.7.18.1 WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft  This is showing that the Notification portion of WGA is installed and signed by Microsoft.  You only get this if the Notifications portion of WGA is installed.

So, I'm not sure why you think that WGA is the cause of your computer freezing up.  Maybe you should have the computer diagnosed by a competent local computer repair shop, but it seems to me that it may be one of the Windows Updates that gets added after you install the WGA programs---after all, to get Windows Updates from the WU site manually, you have to first let WU install the WGA stuff.

Monday, February 4, 2008 4:48 PM
  • I can guarantee you that the MS WGA update is NOT installed on that machine.

However, as I mentioned in my FIRST post, I downloaded and ran the online diag utility. Obviously, this utility must install something to validate XP, which is what you are seeing in the report.

What I am saying is, that as soon as I run the WGA UPDATE, the computer crashes. I also know for 100% certain that this update causes the problem, because I have done numerous tests and narrowed it down to this particular update, no other update is enabled at that stage.

I am still none the wiser and stuck with a lame machine that has NO updates on it.

Since this is my MCE PC which I use to watch and record TV, I am missing several TV channels (MS bug), have constant EPG problems (MS bug) and lack the latest security features (more MS bugs).

ALL of which would be corrected by any of the millions of updates that download once you pass WGA.

Thanks for your help but I am off to the Apple store!

Saturday, February 9, 2008 12:41 PM