do not know mybsecurity key RRS feed

• Question

• want to add another computer to e4xisting wireless system asking for security key which I don't know.need help to find it;
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Monday, May 31, 2010 10:27 PM (From:Windows Live OneCare General)
    Monday, May 31, 2010 10:20 PM

Answers

• On another computer with One Care installed open One Care>Change Settings>Firewall>Advanced Settings>Network Connections> highlight your wireless connection, select Details, and you can view your wireless network security key.

Jim

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Monday, May 31, 2010 10:27 PM

All replies

• On another computer with One Care installed open One Care>Change Settings>Firewall>Advanced Settings>Network Connections> highlight your wireless connection, select Details, and you can view your wireless network security key.

Jim

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Monday, May 31, 2010 10:27 PM
  • And, if you are not using Windows Live OneCare to secure your wireless router, you'll need to review your router documentation for details on how to log onto the router to see/change the security key.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 11:58 AM
  • Hi,

I believe you will not be able to get the security key or WEP key. because if windows live onecare detects that you dont have any security key on your wireless connection,onecare will automatically put a security key so that no one will be able to get connection on your wireless router. you can get the WEP key to add a connection with your ISP (internet service provider)

Thursday, June 3, 2010 4:55 PM
  • Hi,

I believe you will not be able to get the security key or WEP key. because if windows live onecare detects that you dont have any security key on your wireless connection,onecare will automatically put a security key so that no one will be able to get connection on your wireless router. you can get the WEP key to add a connection with your ISP (internet service provider)

If OneCare detects that the network is not secure, it does not secure it unless you give it permissions, Paul1517.

I will note that the *only* PC that will show the details for the security key if it was set by OneCare will be the PC where you respond to the prompt to set the security.

If you don't have access to that PC, you will need to reset the router per the router manufacturer's instructions.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 6:08 PM
  • hi i will give you an example..

There are two neighbors Lets name their house as Home 1 and Home 2 both has a computer which can access to any wireless router. The person in Home 1 has a wireless Router which does not have a pass key and he uses it to connect the internet. The person in Home 2 does not have a router or any internet connection to his computer. Now  if the person from home two activates his wireless adapter he will see the router that is used in the Home 1 and since the Home 1 user does not have a password the home 2 user will use that router to browse the internet.

Now the home user 1 installs OneCare the OneCare will check the Router for its security code and if it finds there is not password key then one Care will secure the Router by placing its password, now if the home user 2 tries to steal the internet connection he will not be able to connect because he needs a password to connect the home user 1’s network.

The only thing that we can do is to  call the Router support or ISP to set a password manually.

Friday, June 4, 2010 4:55 AM
  • Paul1517, in your example, OneCare on the PC on home user 1, the one with the unsecured router, detects that there is no security and *offers* to secure it. It does not do this automatically. It requires user intervention.

-steve

Friday, June 4, 2010 2:52 PM
  • hi stephen,

i've already checked on this... onecare will put a WEP key 'automatically if the router doesnt have a security.. i will pull up the data about this soon and i will email you.

Sunday, June 6, 2010 11:38 PM