Some issues with Vail RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I have found three things, one I know is reported as a bug, the others I am not sure..

1) I see folder art when I select "Browse Pictures" (a reported bug)

2) When I add 4 folders of music, in the dashboard, it says "0 songs". I expect a recursive search here, since I doubt people add their 3000+ songs in the root music folder? Ditto for pictures.

3) Recorded tv appear in the "browse videos" but I can't watch it using silverlight client. Since wtv is MS own format, surely this should be possible. I can understand mkv and 3rd party containers, but pleeeeease make my tv shows watchable. If I have a few hours to kill on the train or whatever, I can watch some recorded tv shows I didnt have time to watch before I went. The iPad is the perfect hardware for this :-)

keep up the good work team!

Other than this, it works great I think.

Another issue... not related to vail. I have a gigabit ethernet at homr, on the switch I see the green light that indicates a sync for 1 gbit, and it also is reported on my network adapter for both my old whs and vail. BUT when I copy fines between these servers, I get performance equivalent fo 100Mbps connection. Is there any tool I can use to analyze the network, in terms of speed, packet loss etc. Something is wierd I think. I want to determine where the bottleneck is. Maybe it is just some setting? The max speed when copy an 8GB file in explorer was 79 MB/sek, roughly half of what I expected using a gigabit ethernet connection.

/Henrik

Henrik
    Sunday, September 26, 2010 7:36 AM

Answers

1. I'm surprised Microsoft hasn't closed that as "by design". Folder art (a folder.jpg or similar in your media library) is an image, and the streaming server doesn't (can't) distinguish between media in one share and media in another share.
    2. Wait. Possibly quite a while. Possibly reboot a time or two. This seems to take a very long time. Are you certain that your media is in a supported format?
    3. WTV isn't supported, and if you read the release notes and Getting Started Guide you'll see it's not mentioned that there are plans for supporting it. I suppose this is a DRM issue...
    Network: 79 MB/s is, in round numbers, 790 Mb/s, which is 79% of a Gb Ethernet connection. Your network performance is fine.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 26, 2010 12:43 PM

All replies

1. I'm surprised Microsoft hasn't closed that as "by design". Folder art (a folder.jpg or similar in your media library) is an image, and the streaming server doesn't (can't) distinguish between media in one share and media in another share.
    2. Wait. Possibly quite a while. Possibly reboot a time or two. This seems to take a very long time. Are you certain that your media is in a supported format?
    3. WTV isn't supported, and if you read the release notes and Getting Started Guide you'll see it's not mentioned that there are plans for supporting it. I suppose this is a DRM issue...
    Network: 79 MB/s is, in round numbers, 790 Mb/s, which is 79% of a Gb Ethernet connection. Your network performance is fine.

Sunday, September 26, 2010 12:43 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I didn't know that I have to wait for the "statistics" to be updated, this should happen in real time I think... at least it made me very confused and it looked like an obvious bug.

Also, really bad that they don't offer support for wtv. Well, I will turn  my eyes to any good 3rd party app that will fix this for me.

Case closed :)

/Henrik

Henrik
    Monday, September 27, 2010 6:16 AM
  • as long as the recording is NOT protected, in W7 you should be able to right
    click it in explorer and convert to DVR-MS. an extra labor intensive step. For
    reasons I'm not sure of, many companies have not updated their 3rd party
    software to support WTV (unprotected).

Air Video + iPad. DVR-MS works great with this combination. I have the Air Video
    server installed on Vail.. Streams over 3G from home quite well, surprisingly.

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 07:36:08 +0000, Henrik Nordgren wrote:

> Since wtv is MS own format, surely this should be possible. I can understand mkv and 3rd party containers, but pleeeeease make my tv shows watchable. If I have a few hours to kill on the train or whatever, I can watch some recorded tv shows I didnt have time to watch before I went. The iPad is the perfect hardware for this :-)

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Monday, September 27, 2010 12:14 PM

Hi Ken, thanks for the reply.

About network, I have noticed that when I copy large files of say 3-7 gb, it rounds at about 70-90 MB/s. But when I copy many lage files, it settles around 43 MB/s. Maybe I have some error in the network and the interface reduces speed to compensate? I can't figure it out otherwise. I wish I had some kind of software tht could tell me where the (if any) bottleneck is, if it is the RJ45 thats faulty, some setting in the adapter or maybe bad wire (cat5e). 

I don't know very much about networks, we have a preinstalled star-configuration gigabit ethernet in the house. I bought the switch and gateway myself, using only standard settings.

/Henrik

Henrik
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:54 PM