Password incorrect RRS feed

• Question

• I opened twice my money 2005 last friday and looks like it crashed my money file.

When trying to open it now after typing my correct password, it mentionned that the file was not closed before quiting and propose to veryfy status of the file.

When I do so it says that my password is incorrect.

Can someone help please ?

( Of course I have years of data in that file ...:( and last backup is 2 years old ...)

Thxs a lot to everyone

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 12:25 PM

All replies

• Sorry to hear about the backup situation.

Copy your *.mny file to other media so that you at least have a copy of that if your hard drive crashes. Also copy your latest *.mbf to other media since a 2 year old backup is better than no backup.

Copy Sample.mny from your install folder (typically in C:\Program
    Files\Microsoft Money* or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money*" ) to your
    Documents folder.  Open Money by right-clicking that copy of
    sample.mny and choose Open.  Does it open and work?
    If not, the problem is probably with your installation. In that case,
    reinstall Money.

If Sample.mny works, I suspect a problem with your
    file.  Hold (make a copy of) your backups in case you want to restore one that
    pre-dates the problem.  You can switch back to your file by clicking File, and
    selecting your regular file from the list at the bottom.

You can try a File->RepairMoneyFile->QuickFileRepair.  That is simple, but it
    probably will not solve this.  Then try I would try making a repaired version
    of your file with File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 2:36 PM
  • Thank you for your fast reply

I've tried all this and money.mny opens fine

When trying to repair my file, simple does nothing and standard stop saying not aable to repair file...:(

anything else I can try ?

I saw a few paying repair solution on the web but with very bad feedback, is this my last chance of do you guys have a unexpected solution for me ??

Thxs all

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 6:41 PM
  • Sorry to hear that sample.mny works. Inspire your friends to review their backup policies, and go back to your 2-year old backup. I know you are strongly inspired the hard way yourself already.

If you are in the US, you may be able to download a considerable amount of transactions to make up part of the missing data, but you will probably need to add a single compensating transaction in each account to make up for the missing data. PocketSense is good for getting info from many brokers and credit cards. For most banks you would have to download a web file to bring in transactions, but that is not hard. Setting up PocketSense is more work, but it makes updating quick.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902466/ is still up. It talks about file repair.  Depending, it might have a slightly newer version of salv.exe (which standard file repair invokes). Very likely it would have the same sad result.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 8:52 PM