How to handle a defective hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I've been running my WHS for many months now with no problems. Today one of my 2 hard drives developed a problem.

I first tried to do a "repair" and then a "remove" the drive but both operations failed.
    Next I disconnected the bad HD and added an external HD. After some time, I was able to "remove" the troublesome drive and then went on to formatted the added external drive for use as storage.

Since I lost all of my backups, I'm now in the process of backing up each of my 4 computers (again).
    Everything appears to be working but I have a question:

What is the proper approach to handle a failed or problem storage drive?

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 10:43 AM

Answers

• The proper approach is exactly what you did: try to remove the drive through the console. That may fail if the drive itself is failing. In that case, you shut down the server and physically remove the drive. Then after you start the server back up, you remove the drive in the console.

If you have to physically remove the drive before you can remove it in the console, there is a chance that you will lose your backups (if components of the backup database are stored on that drive) or some files (if you have files in shares not protected by duplication, it's possible that some of those files will be on the failing drive).
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:47 AM

All replies

• The proper approach is exactly what you did: try to remove the drive through the console. That may fail if the drive itself is failing. In that case, you shut down the server and physically remove the drive. Then after you start the server back up, you remove the drive in the console.

If you have to physically remove the drive before you can remove it in the console, there is a chance that you will lose your backups (if components of the backup database are stored on that drive) or some files (if you have files in shares not protected by duplication, it's possible that some of those files will be on the failing drive).
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:47 AM
  • Hey wolfejr, I ran into this same issue recently on my WHS. Drive just stop working for some reason, and just would not go, after extensive trial and error. Nevertheless, I manage to format the bad drive, and retrieve my data from a network attached storage backup of WHS...Perform prior to the drive failing.

I did a complete diagnostic on the reason it failed, to realize there was no reason it should. I remember adding a few Add-INS and I figure one of them may be the cause. Just to be safe. I removed all the add-ins and I am running a test project to see if it happens again. It has been three weeks now and no problem occur, and I am on my second Add-in test. Each test is for three weeks per Add-in.

The idea is to install and test each Add-ins one at a time, to test its impact on the server, for a period of two months. Server will remain on, and not be turned off during this test. I think some Add-ins can destabilize the WHS beyond repair software repair.

See, I have learned that it is best practice to have a backup copy of a server that is performing a backup of your entire networked clients. Working for an IT firm, you come to expect the unexpected...That is why I got the NAS specifically for for WHS project in the first place.

I know it is more money spending on this project, but you never know when you may need such a resource.

Try it! FTP backup of your server work wonders when you use proper software for this particular reasons. Very fast and full backup of my WHS, and incremental daily backup, every hour...the best part, the NAS can house an additional 4TB of media files or additional storage space for the WHS media streaming. In other words, the extra space you gain from the NAS does not go to waste.

Hugh

Not without anguish!

Thursday, August 28, 2008 12:48 AM