Remove hard drives RRS feed

• Question

• I need to remove 2 of the six drives I have installed. I have over 200GB of available space. The 2 drives I need to remove are both 40GB.

The remove drive wizard says I do not have enough free space to remove even 1 of the 40Gb drives - yet it shows ~220GB free. ?!?!?

I have 3-40GB, 2-60GB & 1-200GB spindles. A 40GB is the system drive, but that is NOT one of the drives I wish to remove.

Ideas?

y
    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 5:29 PM

All replies

• Do you have folder duplication turned on on some of your shares by any chance?  If you do, then maybe DE can't rebalance the data and still keep duplicate copies on seperate spindles.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 7:47 PM
  • Doug may be on to something with that. Also, your largest drive should be your primary (that 200gig unit). WHS will put pc backups and WHS duplicates/backups on the other smaller drives in compressed format.

You may have to start over with the 200 giger as the primary... I have my primary as a 200 gig and an 80 as the secondary with duplication on.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 4:07 PM
  • Hmm. Well that didn't work and I accidently clicked the choise to continue the removal despite it saying it could not. I have at the very least lost my pc backups - I can live with that. There is some other that MAY be lost, but i have not confirmed that.

CPU is pretty much pegged right now with qsm.exe and whsbackup.exe.

Bollocks.

y
    Friday, March 23, 2007 2:42 AM
  • Well, this is turning into a real drag.

I ghosted my 40GB system drive to a 200GB unit. I am showing 365GB free out of 530GB total space across 2-200GB, 2-60GB and a 40GB.

I still can't bloody remove a drive due to "lack of space". Basically, the 2-200GB drives are empty save for the data that ghosted.

FYI, the Maxtor 200GB drive is still ID'd as an IBM drive, which is what the 40GB was, but show the correct drive space for the 200GB. ??

Well, it DOES say BETA...

[sigh]
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 3:33 AM