Validation of an OS not being used RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I know the title sounds a bit vague, but I'll explain a bit better here.

I use both Windows and Linux on a daily basis, and I do have more than one genuine Windows license. I don't have an issue with the validation process not working correctly or anything like that, but I do have a problem that I'd like to discuss.

Currently, I have two PCs, one Windows and one Linux, however my Windows box is out of commission and will be for a while until I get some new hardware.

For development, I use Windows 2000 in a virtual machine on my Linux PC, and that Windows 2000 license is genuine. There are some packages, such as the Platform SDK that I want to install on my VM, but I can't get them at the moment because of the validation system.

My VM is not connected to the internet, and I do not want to connect it for a few reasons, foremost being that at the moment I cannot get the networking to work in the VM without it freezing. The simplest solution for me would be to download the SDKs etc. on my Linux machine, and then use a disc-burning application to make ISO images of the downloaded files. I could then mount the ISOs in my VM and use them normally.

However, I cannot do this, because I have no way of validating my Windows 2000 unless I have it connected to the internet.

Is there any way I can validate the OS in the VM that will allow me to download the utilities on my Linux OS?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Friday, August 10, 2007 11:14 AM

Answers

• Ugh, I hate to bump, but can anyone help me with this?
    Saturday, August 11, 2007 7:17 PM
  • Draconis,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic as well as outside my area of knowledge. I suggest posting your question to one of the Office newsgroups here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, August 13, 2007 11:37 PM
  • Apologies for posting in the wrong forum, I was under the impression that since what I'm trying to access is exclusively for genuine Windows customers, it would belong in the WGA forum.

Thank you for your reply, I will post a question there.
    Tuesday, August 14, 2007 11:59 AM

All replies

• Ugh, I hate to bump, but can anyone help me with this?
    Saturday, August 11, 2007 7:17 PM
  • Draconis,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic as well as outside my area of knowledge. I suggest posting your question to one of the Office newsgroups here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, August 13, 2007 11:37 PM
  • Apologies for posting in the wrong forum, I was under the impression that since what I'm trying to access is exclusively for genuine Windows customers, it would belong in the WGA forum.

Thank you for your reply, I will post a question there.
    Tuesday, August 14, 2007 11:59 AM