WHS Data disk failure options RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday morning my HP475 showed that the backup service had failed.  Looking at the “SMART” add on I could see that the 1tb drive in bay 3 was failing due to excessive bad sectors.  This drive is 88% full and shows as healthy in the “Storage” tab of WHS.  Server performance is slow and laggy via the console or whenever a file is accessed via the shared folders.  I can RDP into the server without issue and it appears to be fine. The event log shows no disk failures/ ntfs warnings but there are many backup service error messages.   I added another drive to the pool via USB and tried to remove the bad disk via the wizard.   I let that process run for over 10 hours and it didn’t proceed, the server just hangs.

I have read many of the posts on this forum but would still like some specific questions answered:

Can I remove the disk In question and run chkdsk /r via a USB case; will any changes it might make have an adverse effect on WHS?

Can I clone the disk and replace it with the clone and do both disks need to be the same size?

Can I remove the disk abruptly and add a new one in its place and let WHS do the rest?  Can I then manually copy the lost data from the bad disk over?

I understand that I will most likely lose my client backups and that is fine.  I was smart and have offsite storage for all of my important stuff already.

Monday, December 13, 2010 1:52 PM

All replies

• Yesterday morning my HP475 showed that the backup service had failed.  Looking at the “SMART” add on I could see that the 1tb drive in bay 3 was failing due to excessive bad sectors.  This drive is 88% full and shows as healthy in the “Storage” tab of WHS.  Server performance is slow and laggy via the console or whenever a file is accessed via the shared folders.  I can RDP into the server without issue and it appears to be fine. The event log shows no disk failures/ ntfs warnings but there are many backup service error messages.   I added another drive to the pool via USB and tried to remove the bad disk via the wizard.   I let that process run for over 10 hours and it didn’t proceed, the server just hangs.

I have read many of the posts on this forum but would still like some specific questions answered:

Can I remove the disk In question and run chkdsk /r via a USB case; will any changes it might make have an adverse effect on WHS?

Can I clone the disk and replace it with the clone and do both disks need to be the same size?

Can I remove the disk abruptly and add a new one in its place and let WHS do the rest?  Can I then manually copy the lost data from the bad disk over?

I understand that I will most likely lose my client backups and that is fine.  I was smart and have offsite storage for all of my important stuff already.

Cloning is unsupported and generally doesn't work well, I'm afraid.

I would go with the abrupt removal. Shut down your server, physically remove the disk and replace it with the one you connected via USB (using an internal connector instead of the USB connection; the disk should be detected just fine), start back up, and remove the "missing" disk. Then (if you have any folders that aren't duplicated) copy as much data as you can from the failing drive: <drive>:\DE\Shares\etc.

Afterward, you can try a repair on the backup database.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 13, 2010 2:00 PM
  • Just want to be clear of the process:

Yank the offending disk out of the server.

Put the new disk its place and add it to the pool.  How do i let WHS know i removed the old disk thats missing and replaced it with the new one.

Assuming the 2 steps above  go as planned does that mean i can then copy the recoverd data from the bad drive to the server shares  as ususal?

Thanks

John

Monday, December 13, 2010 4:56 PM
    • Pull the failing disk. (Make sure you get the right one.)
    • Install the new disk.
    • Boot the server.
    • In the console, remove the "missing" disk, after verifying that it was the right one.
    • If the new disk isn't already in the storage pool (I thought you said you'd added it via a USB connection), add it to the storage pool.
    • Copy any data that was in un-duplicated shares to the server's shares, from the location I gave above.
    • Run a repair on the backup database, if you were warned that you could lose some backups.

You may also want to review this FAQ.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 13, 2010 5:51 PM