Homeserver IP address conflicts with router RRS feed

• Question

• OK, I realize that there are topics around this issue already and I've gone through several of them.  None of the solutions seem to help.

Here is my situation:

I own several domain names and I want to host them from my WHS 2011 server.  I setup the websites in IIS and I knew how to do it since I was hosting these on my desktop computer until I got the server.  Everything was working until yesterday (March 12, 2013).

Then something went wrong.

I then tried to get VPN working so I could log in over a VPN connection (there are reasons for that I won't get into here).

Something went terribly wrong.  Now for some reason when I try to go to one of my websites (www_shareelynnculin_org (replace _ with .) for example (which is a memorial site for my sister)) it gives me a certificate error message because it's trying to redirect to culin.homeserver.com which is for my remote access to the WHS 2011 server.

Yesterday when I pinged culin.homeserver.com it would give a DIFFERENT IP than my router IP which is what I would expect.  Microsoft should be handling DNS and IP management for those subdomains, right?

I don't know what I changed.  I've been racking my brain over it and I'm at a loss.  None of my other sites work either because they do the same thing.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?  Is there something simple I can do?  I am using a DHCP assigned IP for my server and it was working just fine.  I have the correct ports being forwarded - 80, 443 and 4125 (though 4125 may not be required it seems).  I need port 80 forwarded so my websites work.

Please help in anyway you can.  Thank you in advance.

Kris

• Changed type Jeremy_Wu Friday, April 5, 2013 4:23 AM
    • Changed type Jeremy_Wu Friday, April 5, 2013 4:24 AM
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:50 AM

Answers

• The Digital Media Zone has a good tutorial on setting up VPN for WHS2011. And lots of pictures :-)

http://thedigitalmediazone.com/2012/03/26/how-to-set-up-vpn-for-windows-home-server-2011/

Luc.

• Marked as answer by Jeremy_Wu Tuesday, April 2, 2013 3:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jeremy_Wu Friday, April 5, 2013 4:24 AM
    Sunday, March 17, 2013 3:25 PM
  • Thanks for the replies.  I ended up restoring from factory defaults (there was a backup available).  Then I set up everything over again but without the VPN connection.  Everything works just fine and has been for several days now.

To answer your earlier question everything was working for about 4 days.  Then I tried to get VPN working and that's when it went downhill.  I'm hesitant to try setting it up again.  I'd really like to have it but if it means I'm going to have to restore again then I'll live without it.

I think I need a test machine for the VPN connection that is not at the office.  I think my difficulties originally testing was related to that and how I was testing (via Logmein to log into my office machine then trying to connect).  I'll have to think long and hard if I want to have the VPN connection in the first place.

If you can point me to some directions specifically for WHS 2011 that I can read and verify (hopefully there are pictures to follow) then I may give it another shot.

Kris C

• Proposed as answer by Jeremy_Wu Friday, April 5, 2013 4:24 AM
    Sunday, March 17, 2013 1:55 PM

All replies

• Hi MrMontana2011,

Based on my knowledge, you need multiple public IP address to achieve your goal.

If you have only one public IP address, you cannot deploy both anywhere access and your websites due to they all need port 80.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Sunday, March 17, 2013 12:46 PM
  • How long was "everything" working? Did that condition last for days? Weeks? Months? Did it survive even a single reboot?

It seems likely to me that something about your attempt to configure a VPN connection caused your issue, but I can't really tell you what exactly, or how to undo the issues caused.

I presume you did the initial multi-site configuration via host headers?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, March 17, 2013 1:12 PM
  • Thanks for the replies.  I ended up restoring from factory defaults (there was a backup available).  Then I set up everything over again but without the VPN connection.  Everything works just fine and has been for several days now.

To answer your earlier question everything was working for about 4 days.  Then I tried to get VPN working and that's when it went downhill.  I'm hesitant to try setting it up again.  I'd really like to have it but if it means I'm going to have to restore again then I'll live without it.

I think I need a test machine for the VPN connection that is not at the office.  I think my difficulties originally testing was related to that and how I was testing (via Logmein to log into my office machine then trying to connect).  I'll have to think long and hard if I want to have the VPN connection in the first place.

If you can point me to some directions specifically for WHS 2011 that I can read and verify (hopefully there are pictures to follow) then I may give it another shot.

Kris C

• Proposed as answer by Jeremy_Wu Friday, April 5, 2013 4:24 AM
    Sunday, March 17, 2013 1:55 PM
  • The Digital Media Zone has a good tutorial on setting up VPN for WHS2011. And lots of pictures :-)

http://thedigitalmediazone.com/2012/03/26/how-to-set-up-vpn-for-windows-home-server-2011/

Luc.

Sunday, March 17, 2013 3:25 PM