Building "new" WHS and migrating data RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I currently have a WHS system setup with a 500GB system drive and two other 1.5TB storage drives (all SATA) - and for the record, I have about 28% free space and all folders are setup for duplication. I have an older motherboard that had only two SATA ports so in order to get my most recent SATA drive to work in my existing system, I am using a SATA power converters and an IDE to SATA data converter. Up until about a week or so ago, the IDE converter was working flawlessly, but now it is intermittent. Long story short... rather than diagnose a problem on an aging system setup, I am taking the opportunity toupgrage to a motherboard with DDR2, more SATA ports and support for a better CPU. Oh, also I have an additional couple drives available to me. I'd like to use 4 drives total (I assume those will be the 4 largest?) and I currently have:

- 3 1.5TB drives
    - 1 750GB
    - 1 500GB

I have 4 main questions:

1. What is the ideal setup for my drives? Should I use a 1.5tb drive for my system drive or is it wiser to use the 750GB?
    2. What process should be used for bringing the data over to the new system? Without any input, my plan, as I've read online was the best course, was to use a 1.5TB drive for the system drive and then 1 by 1 physically install the drives from my existing data pool, then copy the info from its DE\Shares to the new D:\Shares. Once done, add the drive to the new data pool. Is this right? If so, any dangers to be aware of? And do I COPY or MOVE?
    3. Do I setup folder and user permissions before or after this or is any of that info brought over with the data?
    4. How is Folder Duplication accounted for in the transfer? In other words, if I have folder duplication setup currently for all folders (which I do), should I be expecting a prompt during copying of all the HDDs asking me if I want to overwrite files of the same name or can I expect to see only a single copy of each file ready to go?

I just want to get my ducks in a row before I begin the transition, so any info would be helpful. A good majority of the data is client data so its safety is of great importance to me. Thank you.

-Vic
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 1:43 AM

Answers

• Hello. I currently have a WHS system setup with a 500GB system drive and two other 1.5TB storage drives (all SATA) - and for the record, I have about 28% free space and all folders are setup for duplication. I have an older motherboard that had only two SATA ports so in order to get my most recent SATA drive to work in my existing system, I am using a SATA power converters and an IDE to SATA data converter. Up until about a week or so ago, the IDE converter was working flawlessly, but now it is intermittent. Long story short... rather than diagnose a problem on an aging system setup, I am taking the opportunity toupgrage to a motherboard with DDR2, more SATA ports and support for a better CPU. Oh, also I have an additional couple drives available to me. I'd like to use 4 drives total (I assume those will be the 4 largest?) and I currently have:

- 3 1.5TB drives
    - 1 750GB
    - 1 500GB

I have 4 main questions:

1. What is the ideal setup for my drives? Should I use a 1.5tb drive for my system drive or is it wiser to use the 750GB?

It doesn't matter any more.  The "landing zone" is a thing of the past. :)

2. What process should be used for bringing the data over to the new system? Without any input, my plan, as I've read online was the best course, was to use a 1.5TB drive for the system drive and then 1 by 1 physically install the drives from my existing data pool, then copy the info from its DE\Shares to the new D:\Shares.

No.  Copy to \\server\[sharename], not D:\shares.

Once done, add the drive to the new data pool. Is this right? If so, any dangers to be aware of?

Yes, don't copy to D:\shares. :)

And do I COPY or MOVE?

It's up to you.  Just remember that any time you add a drive to storage pool, it automatically gets formatted.

3. Do I setup folder and user permissions before or after this or is any of that info brought over with the data?

You need to re-create users.  I would do it ASAP.

4. How is Folder Duplication accounted for in the transfer? In other words, if I have folder duplication setup currently for all folders (which I do), should I be expecting a prompt during copying of all the HDDs asking me if I want to overwrite files of the same name or can I expect to see only a single copy of each file ready to go?

You will see each file twice and you will get prompted to overwrite files.

I just want to get my ducks in a row before I begin the transition, so any info would be helpful. A good majority of the data is client data so its safety is of great importance to me. Thank you.

-Vic

An alternate method to your path would be to move all of your drives you are currently using in your server to your new box and do a Server Reinstallation.  This way, you don't have to transfer anything.  Just make sure you see all of the drives in the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen before proceeding.

Also, just as a side note, you are not allowed to move your OEM license from one box to another (the license is tied to the mobo).  It is within MS's right to not allow you to activate again.  Having said that, other users have moved their license and MS allowed it.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 2:07 AM

All replies

- 3 1.5TB drives
    - 1 750GB
    - 1 500GB

I have 4 main questions:

It doesn't matter any more.  The "landing zone" is a thing of the past. :)

2. What process should be used for bringing the data over to the new system? Without any input, my plan, as I've read online was the best course, was to use a 1.5TB drive for the system drive and then 1 by 1 physically install the drives from my existing data pool, then copy the info from its DE\Shares to the new D:\Shares.

No.  Copy to \\server\[sharename], not D:\shares.

Once done, add the drive to the new data pool. Is this right? If so, any dangers to be aware of?

Yes, don't copy to D:\shares. :)

And do I COPY or MOVE?

It's up to you.  Just remember that any time you add a drive to storage pool, it automatically gets formatted.

You need to re-create users.  I would do it ASAP.

You will see each file twice and you will get prompted to overwrite files.

-Vic

An alternate method to your path would be to move all of your drives you are currently using in your server to your new box and do a Server Reinstallation.  This way, you don't have to transfer anything.  Just make sure you see all of the drives in the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen before proceeding.

Also, just as a side note, you are not allowed to move your OEM license from one box to another (the license is tied to the mobo).  It is within MS's right to not allow you to activate again.  Having said that, other users have moved their license and MS allowed it.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 2:07 AM
  • Thank you so much! Great info. But of course, it brings more questions...

To clarify, I copy data to a shared folder that I will have already setup/created again on my new system, along with the users I have setup again?

For the overwriting prompt when copying data over, is either file better than the other (one is a backup or less recent or less complete or something?)?

Regarding the alternate method of restoring, I'd love to avoid moving data from drive to drive, but I've read that there is more risk to Server Reinstallation, is this true?

I had heard that about the OEM licensing and am hoping MS will allow the move. There isn't a retail version available is there?

Thanks again.

-Vic
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 3:22 AM
  • Thank you so much! Great info. But of course, it brings more questions...

To clarify, I copy data to a shared folder that I will have already setup/created again on my new system, along with the users I have setup again?

Correct.

For the overwriting prompt when copying data over, is either file better than the other (one is a backup or less recent or less complete or something?)?

Nope, they are identical.  Either one is fine.

Regarding the alternate method of restoring, I'd love to avoid moving data from drive to drive, but I've read that there is more risk to Server Reinstallation, is this true?

You might have problems getting the Server Reinstallation to show up as an option, but as long as you see all of the drives on the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen and you get Server Reinstallation as an option, you shouldn't lose any data.  (All it does is wipe the OS partition, but leave everything else alone.)  Where did you read there is "more risk"?

I had heard that about the OEM licensing and am hoping MS will allow the move. There isn't a retail version available is there?

Thanks again.

-Vic
    The "retail" version is a pre-built machine by a company such as HP or Lacie (there is no box-retail version).
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 4:07 AM
  • I can't recall where I got the "more risk" info, but I remember someone mentioning that if something goes awry during the reinstalation process, you could be SOL... like maybe an incomplete install would cause your data to be irretrievable or something like that... and I read it in more than one place (but the sources could have been questionable).

OK, so you upgrade your system and technically MS could require that you purcahse a new license each time the mobo is involved, and no retail software-only solution to avoid this. Yuck.

Last question from this guy :) There is a relatively new add-in I read about here (http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2009/04/04/add-in-update-whs-file-manager-1003/). Could something like this possibly be a good/safe solution for transfering large files between shares? and how 'bout for migrating data from an old hdd to the new pool? The developer has this to say, and I'm guessing that means it isn't a viable solution for the data migration but possibly for moving files between shares?

"This is a simple dual-pane file manager for the WHS management console. It allows you to safely copy, move and delete files on your home server. It will only show your shared folders and it will use UNC for file copying. This means it will be slower than copying to/from local disks using remote desktop, but it’s also a lot safer."

Thanks.

-Vic
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 4:29 AM
  • I can't recall where I got the "more risk" info, but I remember someone mentioning that if something goes awry during the reinstalation process, you could be SOL... like maybe an incomplete install would cause your data to be irretrievable or something like that

Not true.  A problem during Reinstallation may make another Reinstallation difficult/impossible, but you won't lose your data.

and I read it in more than one place (but the sources could have been questionable).

IMO, very questionable....

OK, so you upgrade your system and technically MS could require that you purcahse a new license each time the mobo is involved, and no retail software-only solution to avoid this. Yuck.

Last question from this guy :) There is a relatively new add-in I read about here (http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2009/04/04/add-in-update-whs-file-manager-1003/). Could something like this possibly be a good/safe solution for transfering large files between shares? and how 'bout for migrating data from an old hdd to the new pool? The developer has this to say, and I'm guessing that means it isn't a viable solution for the data migration but possibly for moving files between shares?

"This is a simple dual-pane file manager for the WHS management console. It allows you to safely copy, move and delete files on your home server. It will only show your shared folders and it will use UNC for file copying. This means it will be slower than copying to/from local disks using remote desktop, but it’s also a lot safer."

Thanks.

-Vic
    IMO, that add-in is a waste of time when you're inside your LAN (although I can see a benefit to someone who is outside their LAN and doesn't have a client with Remote Desktop Host available for connection). All it is is a glorified copy/paste.  You can open 2 windows on your client (one for share A, the other for share B) and copy and paste the data yourself just as well.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 4:45 AM
  • The FAQ How to recover data after server failure gives you detailed information what to do, if the reinstall fails.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 6:51 AM