Uninstalling WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I requested and in due course received from Microsoft a WHS 120-day Evaluation pack which I duly installed on hardware I had assembled myself and used very happily for the stated period.

However that period has now expired and I am unable to find anywhere to buy a "legitimate" copy of WHS given that it has not been released to the general market.  I put it like that because Google gives me plenty of links to BitTorrent downloads of cracked versions, but very few genuine retailers of even the OEM version never mind any straight retail versions.

So now I am faced with the challenge of replacing it with a legitimate OS - but it will not allow me to boot to it and then install XP Pro over it, while it appears to block the boot process if I attempt to boot from a genuine Windows XP Pro install CD intending to do a fresh install.

Any suggestions please - and HELP!!!

Many thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 11:51 AM

Answers

• It's higly unlikely (actually I think impossible) that a current WHS install would block booting from CD / DVD. Can you please explain in more detail what's happening?

However why not stick with Home Server? There's many resellers that have WHS in store (Newegg, Amazon and many more) Just search the web for "windows homeserver oem disk kit" (Please note there's no retail version, only OEM)
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 12:53 PM
  • It's fully legal to build your own system and buy OEM version, even when your a home user. You will NOT get support on this one even if you would buy it locally. It's OEM, so your considered to be system manufacturer (of your own system) and as such also provide support.

If you want support you have to buy complete solution such as offered by HP, Tranquil, Fujitsu Siemens and many more.

If you decide to build yourself, you can find very good and absolutely free support in this forum.

As for reinstalling XP, if your current system uses SATA / SAS or SCSI disks you will need to provide storage drivers during the early stages of text mode phase of install (using F6 key). Alternatively you can enter BIOS or (storage card BIOS if you have a separate storage card) and set the drives to run in native IDE mode (not AHCI)
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 1:59 PM

All replies

• It's higly unlikely (actually I think impossible) that a current WHS install would block booting from CD / DVD. Can you please explain in more detail what's happening?

However why not stick with Home Server? There's many resellers that have WHS in store (Newegg, Amazon and many more) Just search the web for "windows homeserver oem disk kit" (Please note there's no retail version, only OEM)
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 12:53 PM
  • I must admit I was of a like mind with regard to WHS blocking booting, but I cannot come up with any other explanation as to why a genuine Microsoft XP Pro CD will happily boot another system which has XP Home already installed on it but will not do so on the system where WHS is presently installed, nor will it allow a forced install from the CD after booting to a Win 98 3½" floppy.

As for your WHS resellers, firstly they are all based in the US while I live in Australia and I want some local support!  Secondly, I have done the search you suggest and found as you say there's only the OEM version.  But I am simply an home user and thus do not satisfy the legal requirements for an OEM product.

Seems to me there have to be some dubious business practices in play in this situation.  Firstly I was allowed to ask for and was given to evaluate a product I would never be able to buy.  And having done so, there is no simple way to revert to where I was so I now have to completely rebuild the system I used for the purpose.  Hardly conducive to encouraging future business!

Oh, and I still do not know how to resurrect my system (other than physically installing the HDD I used in another system, reformatting it, and then putting it back into the machine I used and installing a different OS on it!)

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 1:49 PM
  • It's fully legal to build your own system and buy OEM version, even when your a home user. You will NOT get support on this one even if you would buy it locally. It's OEM, so your considered to be system manufacturer (of your own system) and as such also provide support.

If you want support you have to buy complete solution such as offered by HP, Tranquil, Fujitsu Siemens and many more.

If you decide to build yourself, you can find very good and absolutely free support in this forum.

As for reinstalling XP, if your current system uses SATA / SAS or SCSI disks you will need to provide storage drivers during the early stages of text mode phase of install (using F6 key). Alternatively you can enter BIOS or (storage card BIOS if you have a separate storage card) and set the drives to run in native IDE mode (not AHCI)
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 1:59 PM