I have a COA but my Key is different. No options from Microsoft to fix problem. RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased my laptop last year sometime and it had XP Pro allready installed (without the cd)on the hard-drive. I have used the auto-updates often on this laptop and all seemed ligit until tonight when my xp auto-updated with this new  "Genuine Advantage" thingy and now its all gone t*ts-up!  

As my computer rebooted i was greeted with a box telling me my software is not genuine... i may be a victim... bla bla! I then went on the internet to download a program that allows me to see what key has been installed on my laptop, needless to say... it was different from that of the COA. I then proceeded to the microsoft website expecting to find help on this subject (surely im not the only one that this has happened to) but unfortunetly i cant find no profesional help for this situation. And not to mention... they have no direct enquiry e-mail support. So i cant even send them an e-mail to see what i should do about this.

Is there a way that i can change the cd-key to that of the COA without formating my harddrive? And not have to try re-installing with my desktops xp cd? (not sure that will even work but...)

Also, my COA is one of those "XP Pro 'or' Windows 2000" one's that you have to choose which one. Im asuming that its XP Pro that has been selected. I cant see why there is a different key on this laptop if it has a genuine COA, i cant think of a reason why it should/would/could be different.

Any help/advice would be great!

If there is a general enquiry e-mail address that i have missed that would get me directly to microsoft support staff please let me know.

Thanks 

Thursday, April 27, 2006 11:36 PM

Answers

• KD101:

I can't guarantee that the system will allow you to run from a reinstall (since its an "or" choice COA), but to try and re-enter the product key from the COA, you must reinstall. You can reinstall on top of the old copy of Windows, and the old version will be named Windows.Old.

-Phil Liu

Saturday, April 29, 2006 12:28 AM

All replies

• Do you have a XP or 2000 COA on your laptop?

What is the exact error you are getting on the validation failure page?

Thursday, April 27, 2006 11:50 PM
  • Hi phil,

Yes my laptop does have a COA but it is one of those "One time choice only" ones with the option between "Windows XP Professional 'or' Windows 2000 Professional" with a seperat product key for each. The COA itself looks very real as it has the "Genuine Microsoft" Hologram all over it.

Apart from buying a new operating system, what options do i have to resolve this? I do not wish to buy another copy of XP, but is there a way that the system can be restored to a level i can enter the prodect key from the COA, without loosing whats on my hard drive?  

Regards

Friday, April 28, 2006 2:48 PM
  • KD101:

I can't guarantee that the system will allow you to run from a reinstall (since its an "or" choice COA), but to try and re-enter the product key from the COA, you must reinstall. You can reinstall on top of the old copy of Windows, and the old version will be named Windows.Old.

-Phil Liu

Saturday, April 29, 2006 12:28 AM
  •   I am a novice at this but I know that after you reinstall Windows XP it will ask you to register your copy. If yoy tell it that you want to register by phone it wil generate a series of numbers. (15 - 20) I think. It gives you a phone number to call and you will either get a recorded help message, (The best way to go) or a live person. Either way they will ask you for the serise of numbers that the computer has generatored. I always wrote them down. Next they will give you a series of numbers and letters to put in the boxes. That is all there is to it. When I got the live person she was crabby and kept asking if the software had been used before. I told her I had purchased on ebay and it came with out a COA.

I am in the process of reinstalling an orginial copy back on a computer and it isn't accepting the COA. I don't know how legal this is but you purchased the software for that machine and they should have a setup to make it easy for us.

Good luck and keep me posted, Kennyd

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 8:17 PM
  • i need the number for north america microsoft so i can get an new key  i lost my key whenmy cat decided to rip open my package and it is lost forever and it has never been downloaded or anything can someone help my address id brentcreighotn@hotmail.com thanks
    Thursday, June 22, 2006 7:33 AM
  • NO I HAVE A HP PENTIUM AND I USED A PRODUCT KEY BEFORE SOMEONE GAVE ME BUT I NEEDED TO ERESET MY COM. FOR SOMETHING ELSE AND NOW IM BACK TO NEEDING A WINDOWS ACTIVATION
    Friday, July 10, 2009 1:33 AM
  • Hello Kids Mama,

Please post your question here http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/threads  AFTER reading the forum announcements at the top of that page and running the diagnostic utility.

Thanx!
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, July 10, 2009 3:50 PM