Live OneCare to be phased out? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I had heard that Micorosft is abandoning One Care and will begin phasing it out nextJne. My license is paid for until November and I had plans to continue using it. Where is this going to leave us when phased out before our subscriptions are completed?
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 11:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Robert, you can continue to use One Care and your subscription term will be honored. Retail sales of One Care will continue until June 2009 and updates and support will continue through 2010. There is more information available in this post - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=4143617&SiteID=2

Thursday, November 20, 2008 3:54 AM
  • But what will I be able to do about backing files up etc? Onecare has worked excellently for me and I really do NOT want to see it go. It's simple and it works! Just like XP - oh, and Microsoft want to kill that off, too. Are they out to get me or what?
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 12:41 PM
  • Astrologer,

Realize that you've got at least a year, probably more, to find other options. If your Onecare renewal occurs before June 2009, you'll be able to renew for one more year from that point and will continue to be supported with the current version of OneCare features through the end of your subscription.

I'd suspect that Microsoft will be offering online backup via their Windows Live SkyDrive online services. This is really the core storage system behind the Online Photo Backup anyway. Since most OneCare backup problems have occured due to local hardware issues and off site backup is really safer, it makes more sense for both you and Microsoft.

As for Windows XP, though it's no longer being sold in the consumer market it will continue to be supported fully through mid-April 2009 and will continue its Extended Support phase for five more years until early April 2014. See the link below for more detail.

http://blogs.technet.com/lifecycle/archive/2008/04/25/what-s-happening-to-windows-xp-on-june-30th.aspx

OneCareBear

Thursday, November 20, 2008 4:08 PM
  • I like everything that Onecare  does, including the Tune Up option. When you talk about Skydrive will that be a paid-for service? How will managing things like antivirus, firewall, malware, backups and tune-ups with individual programs be better than doing it all-in-one with Onecare? I have been using it very happily for ages now and still have 11 months to go on my current subscription. PLEASE don't get rid of Onecare - rather refine and improve it to get a bigger customer base.
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 7:06 PM
  • I hear you. We don't know all of the details about future offerings. Be sure to watch the announcements for more information as it is made available.

-steve

Thursday, November 20, 2008 8:28 PM
  • Please note that I never stated that everything would be 'better' with the loss of OneCare, just that online (off site) backup is a better solution for that purpose. Here's a link to the currently available free Windows Live SkyDrive, which includes 5 GB of storage for any type of files including pictures.

http://get.live.com/skydrive/overview

This doesn't mean that SkyDrive will alwayss be free or might not have a paid for version, but that's what's available at the moment.

I understand that some will miss the features included in OneCare, but I doubt that Microsoft is likely to reverse the decision after such a clear set of announcements. They already attempted to do exactly what you're suggesting with versions 2.0 and 2.5, but apparently it hadn't succeeded to the level that management wanted to keep the product available long term.

OneCareBear

Thursday, November 20, 2008 8:29 PM
  • Management need to start thinking more about their existing customers who have paid for and are happy with the Onecare solution. I am tired of hearing excuses being made about this. Microsoft should reverse their decision because their decision is frankly wrong. Do they want people to abandon Microsoft? Whatever happened to "If it ain't broke don't fix it?"
    Friday, November 21, 2008 10:53 AM
  • I believe what I will do is find a replacement product.  We do not know that the free replacement product will provide what we currently get with OneCare.  I have been happy with it too and figured that Microsoft would have the expertise to deal with any possible system issues.

My reason for shopping now is that protection support may taper off since the leading employees will find other jobs at Microsoft or they will be reassigned to the free or other project.  Getting a bad bug due to a late or missing definition update in OneCare would cost me days of rebuilding if I had to reformat and rebuild my program base.  It is too bad because we have two subscriptions protecting 5 computers, so it may be an expensive proposition to replace what I really like.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Levi

Saturday, November 22, 2008 2:00 AM
  • Levi, the engine and signatures for the new product will be similar to what you have in OneCare, being based on the same core technology. So, if you're happy with OneCare (as I am) you don't need to give it up. Once your subscription are up - sometime in 2009 or 2010, depending on when renewals will no longer be accepted, the new product should be out and you can decide at that time if you like it or not *and* we should know by then what options we have for the other parts of OneCare that will not be in the new product.

I plan to be here in the forums as long as Microsoft keeps them open and customers come here for help. There will be support for OneCare through the end of your subscriptions. We will probably not see program updates unless a serious defect is uncovered, but the antimalware team will be updating the core protection of OneCare.

-steve

Saturday, November 22, 2008 3:46 AM
  • Levi,

You are confusing the OneCare product development with the Anti-Malware Engineering Team at Microsoft, which isn't surprising since few consumers have any understanding of security systems at this level.

There is no risk that this change from a consumer oriented all-in-one suite to a client based free anti-malware product will cause those resposible for detections and engines to leave Microsoft. The reason is that they are entirely different groups and only the OneCare development Team is directly affected by this change in direction. In fact, as you mentioned, it's likely that some of those responsible for portions of the OneCare product will simply be shifted to the devlopment of 'Morro' instead.

The key point to understand is that the Anti-Malware Engineering Team is responsible for the core antivirus, antispyware, anti-rootkit, and related technology, which is then used across a number of Microsoft products and technologies. These include the Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT), Windows Defender, Windows Live OneCare and the Safety Scanner, and the ForeFront Security products. Basically, from their standpoint the new 'Morro' product will simply replace OneCare and in fact most likely increase the total number of deployed installations.

Understanding Anti-Malware Research and Response at Microsoft

I have absolutely no concerns about the anti-malware compnonets of either OneCare or the new product when it becomes available. The only question in my case is what will result if the firewall is removed, since that is a key component in both the protection and ease of use of OneCare as it exists today. I don't like most other firewall products, since they are too 'noisy' and difficult for children and non-technical users to operate. I don't know what the exact plans are relative to Morro, but I hope that some attempt is made to include the type of protection afforded by the OneCare firewall.

In any case, I have no plans to switch from OneCare until I have seen and tested the new 'Morro' product for myself. There are no plans to upgrade OneCare any further, but it's currently in a stable and functional state to provide the security I require. I have no expectations that this will change in any way until OneCare is no longer available, so that defines my timetable. I have better things to do than hop around to various products looking for another OneCare, because I know it doesn't exist.

What I'll do before Morro is released is investigate my options to cover the only additional component of OneCare that I'll truly miss, which is backup. Everything else I either don't use or I can perform myself without OneCare's help. Unfortunately, not everyone has that ability so some will need to find a product (or products) with additional abilities such as Wi-Fi security, backup, and possibly even centralized management.

Rushing such an important decision is a bad idea, so take your time and evaluate what you really require and also whether other things might change such as replacing an existing Windows XP based PC with one running Windows Vista, as this may change your requirements too. For example, the Business and Ultimate versions of Vista both have their own backup including the capability to perform complete image backups of a drive.

OneCareBear

Saturday, November 22, 2008 3:58 AM
  •  Astrologer wrote:
    Management need to start thinking more about their existing customers who have paid for and are happy with the Onecare solution. I am tired of hearing excuses being made about this. Microsoft should reverse their decision because their decision is frankly wrong. Do they want people to abandon Microsoft? Whatever happened to "If it ain't broke don't fix it?"

No one is making excuses, I'm just trying to explain why this is most likely happening. I don't work for Microsoft, so I have no need to make excuses, I'm just helping people make semse of the product and at this point, the coming changes.

What you also fail to realize is that the current economic conditions don't just affect individuals, even a company like Microsoft can find itself 'bleeding' money at such times. I'm quite certain the recent events were precipitated in large part due to the economic downturn and a need to cut costs. This isn't an 'excuse', it's a fact. If they don't manage to reduce enough costs to ride out the economic downturn, they may not be around after it's over, so what good would that do you if your PC runs Windows?

OneCareBear

Saturday, November 22, 2008 4:10 AM
  • "Rushing such an important decision is a bad idea, so take your time and evaluate what you really require and also whether other things might change such as replacing an existing Windows XP based PC with one running Windows Vista, as this may change your requirements too. For example, the Business and Ultimate versions of Vista both have their own backup including the capability to perform complete image backups of a drive." 

Of course rushing such an important desision is a bad idea - but that's exactly what Microsoft have done, ignoring a customer base that is actually paying for their product. And as for Vista - I'm extremely happy with XP Pro, thank you - as are many others like me. Are you in reality saying that, because backup facilities are available in Vista, Microsoft is withdrawing Onecare to force customers on to the more recent OS? As you can gather I am extremely annoyed by Microsoft's shabby treatment of loyal Onecare users. If Onecare is withdrawn I shall probably stop using Microsoft products entirely.
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 10:28 AM
  • I realize I might be jumping to conclusions because I am so concerned about my systems' security.

I did a little investigation on Norton 360 last night but the $79 x 2 pricetag is a little steep.  That would be $10 + more per PC than I am paying now.  I'm protecting 5 pcs.

If MS ever just tells us what will be included or not then I would feel better.  N360 seems to have most of what OC has.  Before OC I was always a Symantec user and it worked well, except for the heavy overheads.  From what I read, N360 is much lighter in that area.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Levi

Saturday, November 22, 2008 2:47 PM
  •  Astrologer wrote:
    Of course rushing such an important desision is a bad idea - but that's exactly what Microsoft have done, ignoring a customer base that is actually paying for their product. And as for Vista - I'm extremely happy with XP Pro, thank you - as are many others like me. Are you in reality saying that, because backup facilities are available in Vista, Microsoft is withdrawing Onecare to force customers on to the more recent OS? As you can gather I am extremely annoyed by Microsoft's shabby treatment of loyal Onecare users. If Onecare is withdrawn I shall probably stop using Microsoft products entirely.

I really don't believe that making a decision by the end of my next OneCare subscription term is rushing, even if that were June 30th, 2009, though it will be significantly later for most users. They could just as easily have cut off support earlier and provided no replacement free or otherwise, at which point I would have agreed with you.

Again, I'm only detailing some options, you however are quite obviously mad which is the phase of separation that generally comes after denial. Quite a few will probably follow your lead, which is an extremely bad state of mind in which to make decisions. By keeping OneCare available for up to a year or more, Microsoft has given you the time to get over this and also to evaluate your options with a clear state of mind.

I personally have worked in the computer field for almost 30 years and have seen hundreds of products and even entire companies come and go. This makes me less susceptible to such change and even relatively upbeat about the chance to investigate the current options available to me. I look forward to what the new 'Morro' might bring and will reserve final judgement until that time.

Give yourself time to step back, take a deep breath and then decide what to do. It sounds to me as if you've been looking for an excuse to move to something else for a while and are simply using this situation to begin to accept that change. If that's what you require, so be it, but learning to isolate technical and monetary decisions from emotional ones can be valuable as it allows you to focus your energy in a positive way and make a long term decision that's right for you.

OneCareBear

txlevi wrote:

I realize I might be jumping to conclusions because I am so concerned about my systems' security.

I did a little investigation on Norton 360 last night but the $79 x 2 pricetag is a little steep.  That would be $10 + more per PC than I am paying now.  I'm protecting 5 pcs.

If MS ever just tells us what will be included or not then I would feel better.  N360 seems to have most of what OC has.  Before OC I was always a Symantec user and it worked well, except for the heavy overheads.  From what I read, N360 is much lighter in that area.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Levi

Yes, until OneCare I also used Norton/Symantec, primarily because of my background in network administration where Symantec was quite well known. However, over time they had bloated the product as you mentioned and that was a large part of my interest in OneCare, along with better integration with the OS.

Since Norton 360 was created in reaction to the development of OneCare it did result in some trimming down and cleaning up of the mess that Norton had become. It still, however, seems too complex for the non-technical user since it even managed to confuse me the couple times I ran into it. However, for those with a bit of technical ability and the time, it could probably take the place of OneCare for many of the important features.

I'm certain that Microsoft will not only tell us about Morro, but offer a beta as before to allow pre-testing by those with an interest. This should allow those with a deeper interest like myself to not only determine what's included, but also to potentially have some input into any final adjustments. I'm also certain we'll be discussing that here or in whatever Microsoft Community is created to allow that interaction.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

OneCareBear

Saturday, November 22, 2008 3:39 PM
  • "Again, I'm only detailing some options, you however are quite obviously mad which is the phase of separation that generally comes after denial. Quite a few will probably follow your lead, which is an extremely bad state of mind in which to make decisions. By keeping OneCare available for up to a year or more, Microsoft has given you the time to get over this and also to evaluate your options with a clear state of mind."

Well this is an interesting turn of events, OneCareBear. Having moved from being Microsoft's "unpaid" champion you have now resorted to insults. How sad that you are incapable of pursuing rational argument without recourse to such shabby tactics.

My comments are aimed fairly and squarely at Microsoft. My views have been clearly expressed in the above posts, but in brief I feel that Microsoft, by abandoning OneCare, is letting down loyal customers.

"It sounds to me as if you've been looking for an excuse to move to something else for a while and are simply using this situation to begin to accept that change. " 

Well that's an astonishing assertion based on nothing but your own prejudices. I do NOT want to switch from Microsoft as I feel that Onecare helps me manage my computing environment very well. I will reconsider that position if Onecare is axed, as clearly there is no other single application available that does what OneCare does so well.

Saturday, November 22, 2008 7:36 PM
  • I'm not attempting to insult, simply make observations. In fact relating this to my own situation, I went through exactly the same stages I mentioned above, albeit a bit more quickly and with less concern about what I will do. Everyone will do this to some extent, you've just defined that loss of OneCare might possibly end your dealings with Microsoft.

I think the key thing here is that we need to return the focus to the real problem at hand, what happens when, not if OneCare goes away. I could already see a path for myself as can others in this thread, but what's really needed is a clear discussion of exactly what will be missed and so, what might be included in the new 'Morro' security application that could remove the concern. I'll start so others can understand my meaning.

In my case the primary target for OneCare is the protection of my sister and nephew's PC, used primarily for digital pictures, school work, games and general browsing. Since I'm unable to be at the PC more than every couple weekends I need it to generally protect the non-technical users on it's own as well as provide automatic backups of the most critical data, mostly pictures. Thus in my case, the likely solution is to use a combination of the new Morro (assumed to be complete anti-malware), combined with some form of online backup to save the data automatically off site. Though I'd like to see some form of backup included or at least linked from Morrow, I don't really expect it as that could place Microsoft into a anti-competitive legal situation with an otherwise free application. I'd also like to see some form of the firewall kept if possible, though reduced prompting is more important for these users than breadth of coverage.

So I'd like to hear from you and anyone else who cares to comment what specific features from OneCare they are going to miss, not simply 'everything', since everyone primarily needs just portions of any application? We also need to understand why these need to be included, since "I want it" without context provides no value in understanding its importance.

Those willing to answer these questions may help the OneCare to Morro transition team define what they create, since they have been good about reviewing threads here in the past for just such purposes.

OneCareBear

Monday, November 24, 2008 4:55 PM
  • OK. The main thing I love about OneCare is the easy way it prompts me for and manages backups when needed. This has taken a lot of worry off of my mind. I also like the fact that it runs a "Tune Up" and that it is easy to manage startup items with the program. Strangely the things I feel that I could easily replace are anti-virus/malware and firewall.  They're the least of my worries as there are lots of products out there that handle that end of things well. Of course I like the fact that I can do everything all-in-one. So for me - a really efficient automatic backup system like OneCare's (one that will allow me to back up to an external hard drive) is the most important thing.
    Monday, November 24, 2008 5:26 PM
  • I've just realised that what I took as an insult might just be a difference between English and American usage. When you said I was "Mad" I thought you meant insane, which struck me as pretty rude. But perhaps you just meant "angry"? If so apologies for the misunderstanding - "two nations divided by a common language", eh?
    Monday, November 24, 2008 5:32 PM
  •  Astrologer wrote:
    I've just realised that what I took as an insult might just be a difference between English and American usage. When you said I was "Mad" I thought you meant insane, which struck me as pretty rude. But perhaps you just meant "angry"? If so apologies for the misunderstanding - "two nations divided by a common language", eh?

You've got it, "angry" was my intended meaning. Though I've learned a lot about the different uses of language, I have to admit that I never knew that one, so I'll keep away from that word in the forums in the future.  OCB

Monday, November 24, 2008 5:59 PM
  •  Astrologer wrote:
    OK. The main thing I love about OneCare is the easy way it prompts me for and manages backups when needed. This has taken a lot of worry off of my mind. I also like the fact that it runs a "Tune Up" and that it is easy to manage startup items with the program. Strangely the things I feel that I could easily replace are anti-virus/malware and firewall.  They're the least of my worries as there are lots of products out there that handle that end of things well. Of course I like the fact that I can do everything all-in-one. So for me - a really efficient automatic backup system like OneCare's (one that will allow me to back up to an external hard drive) is the most important thing.

So other than Tune-Up, your and my requirements are quite similar. I'd think the option to run a Tune-Up could quite easily be included in 'Morro', since all it really takes is to invoke the Windows scheduler with the correct commands to run the scans. If they also allowed you to easily schedule the additional tasks like Temp File Clean-Up and Defrag, it could approach what exists in OneCare with very little overhead. In fact, this could even allow the PC to awake from stand-by, which is something OneCare never did.

As for backup, the primary difference is you prefer a local backup vs. my preference for online. Since you are available to swap out the drive or deal with issues, while I'm remote and want completely automated via broadband Internet, the reasons are quite clear. As I stated in my own comments above, I only wonder if Microsoft can get away with including a simple backup in a free product without causing an anti-competition suit. I guess that's up to them to figure out.

My concern with the anti-malware and firewall are similar, since the users I'm protecting don't understand and won't maintain the updates on their own. When OneCare was first created three years ago, virtually no one was performing updates that worked with Limited accounts on Windows XP, so none of the programs could keep updated unless I logged in as Administrator. Now, due to both OneCare and later Vista, effective update systems do exist in most current Anti-malware. However, no one has a larger malware collection system than Microsoft or is as conservative to avoid false positives, which again is important for the non-technical users I support.

Hopefully, they can create something that will perform what you require, but if they don't, you've got a clear idea what you require to replace when OneCare support ends. I'll be testing some options for online backup over the holidays, since I hadn't ever gotten the OneCare online backup running anyway. That way I'll be in the position to try Morro as soon as it's available and decide if that's all I need to complete my security system.

Can't wait to hear more about what Microsoft decides to produce, though I understand if it takes a bit of time.

OneCareBear

Monday, November 24, 2008 6:28 PM
  • microsoft aint BROKE, but it sure needs fixing. they just want more money. oh and btw, linux is the only non-microsoft run os. everything for linux is free, but using it sucks.  hopefully they'll work on this now that it's abvious that mac os leopard is just like mojave/vista
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:10 PM
  • Do you use OneCare? 
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:14 PM