Windows Server 2012 R2 & Single Server Deployment RRS feed

• Question

• In Windows Server 2012 R2 AD FS is not dependent on IIS anymore. I believe this also means that I can now have AD FS on the same server as CRM Server and still have CRM run on the default website (rather than having it on a different port). This helps with a one-server deployment.

According to the guides CRM cannot be deployed on a server that is also a domain controller. Where does this limitation come from? Will this also still apply once Dynamics CRM is approved for Windows Server 2012 R2? In other words, does Windows Server 2012 R2 have changes that would eliminate this restriction and finally allow single server deployment (which is not possible anymore with CRM 2013 as it is not supported on SBS).

Monday, February 24, 2014 7:25 PM

All replies

• CRM is not supported on a domain controller, and that is unlikely to change. From a security, performance and DR point of view it is simply not a good idea, and MS seem to be moving towards not supporting such configurations rather than saying they are strongly not recommended.

For those very small customers who don't have the budget, skills or infrastructure to run things on a separate server, I suspect Microsoft would be happy for them to move to CRM Online instead.

You do seem to be confusing two concepts in this statement: "I can ... still have CRM run on the default website (rather than having it on a different port)".

You do not have to run CRM on the default website in order to use a standard port such as 443. In general my recommendation would always be to run CRM on its own website, whether that is one that you create or let CRM create it during setup, but never the default website. (maybe you just meant "default" in the sense of "the one it creates" rather than the IIS Default Website)

I would also always recommend running CRM on port 443 - expecting users to remember to put the port number in for anything else is just asking for trouble, and similarly every configuration you need to do from any external application you need to remember it too. If you must run ADFS on the CRM server, run ADFS on port 444 (or 4343 or whatever your preference).

Hope this helps.
    Adam Vero, Microsoft Certified Trainer | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011
    UK CRM Guru Blog

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 4:17 PM
  • Keep in mind that ADFS 2.2 (2012 R2) hasn't been fully supported for CRM 2011 / 2013

Ibrahim Sukari, Technical Consultant | SharePoint | Dynamics CRM | LinkedIn Profile

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 12:09 AM