HP WHS physical dimension oddity RRS feed

• General discussion

• I happen to have a collection of three HP Windows Home Servers.  I bought two of them at the same time, and had intended them to be identical, but when they arrived, the vendor had shipped two different models--but I thought the only difference was an additional drive in one.  The third is on loan from the vendor of the WHS software...: )

I've had these parked in three different locations in my office, but decided to relocate them all to one place--since they looked like they would be easy to stack.

So--I did that, and was startled, when I got them all stacked up, to see that the three units were all of different depths!  The changes are in approximately 1/2 inch increments--it happened that the largest one started on the bottom, and the decreased from there.

I was completely surprised by this, since the other dimensions seem to be the same--width, for sure--I haven't tried them side by side to see if the heights are the same.

I suppose there are some HP staff who could tell us how this came about, but I was quite surprised to find these differences in what I'd thought were pretty nearly identical machines of about the same age.

Bill Sanderson
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 4:23 AM

All replies

• I'm going to bet that there are two factors at work. First, components used in the chassis have grown a bit smaller, so the chassis size could be reduced. Second, it costs less to make a smaller chassis...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 1:47 PM