none
S&T 2013 Construction Information Not Updating Correctly RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings.  

S&T 2013 warns me that "construction information is out of date, click this line to update"...  Upon performing the update, I receive a dialog box asking me if I want to download the update from MS.  I answer yes, and the update appears to download... although the progress bar only goes about 1/3 of the way from left to right.  I then get another dialog box that states that the download was successful...

However, the construction info out of date warning does not go away, and each attempt to download the updated info continues to cause the above mentioned loop.  

Can anyone comment on this frustrating issue?

Thank you!

Stephen Carter

• Edited by gr8lakescarter Saturday, September 28, 2013 11:04 PM Version Specific
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 5:06 PM

All replies

• I am having the very same problem. In fact, looks like SEVERAL people are. I had the same issue with S&T 2011, but talked to a MS Techie, and they got me to a page to dl a 'fix-it' file for the issue. It did the trick [in THAT version on an XP system. 32 bit I believe] The system I'm currently using is a Win7 Home Premium 64 bit. I got a hold of another MS Techie on the ST 2011 issue on THIS computer, and they told me the update I had wouldn't work with a 64 bit system. SO - I went out and bought the new one. (2013) Well - - having the same issue. Sent an email to tech support and they sent a link to go here: (interesting - they wouldn't let me send it with links in it...) which is SUPPOSED to be a Streets specific help site. I tried several times to get my inquiry through there, but each time it says it can't because of some "issue." FRUSTRATING!! I just found a page (on my own - no thank you MS...) that LOOKS like a 'fix it' page, (couldn't send with this link either. If you want to try them, send an email to info @ colonialmotel.us  By putting the space on either side of the ampersand, it can't tell it's a link...  :-) and I'll get the pages to you that way. After dl'ing the .dat file and putting it in the folder they tell you to, and restarting MS Streets, STILL NOTHIN.' Same problem.........

I'm wondering if it might be an issue with 64 bit systems........... IF I can find someone with a PULSE in MS C.S. to ask, depending on the answer I get, I may just take the program back and get a refund........ 

Let me know if you happen to find the magical fix to this seemingly common problem!!

Saturday, September 28, 2013 8:03 PM
  • Thanks MotelMan!  I appreciate your reply.  MS does not make it easy to get assistance, that's for sure.  There's support articles, for this long-running issue, pertaining to S & T 2001 - 2011, but absolutely nothing for 2013...  I don't have the time, nor the patience to spend hours researching this topic.  I've spent way too much time on it already, and with all the money I've given MS since the DOS days, I'm getting fed up.  I hope someone from MS will see this, and reply.

By the way, I've downloaded several construction updates since I purchased this version...  It's just recently that this has cropped up... again... as it has in several other versions in the past...

Saturday, September 28, 2013 10:48 PM
  • This is the whole reason why... when you go to manually download the update just look at the release date:

Version:
    Date Published:

8/8/2013

File name:
    File size:

ConstructionB2042101.dat

115 KB

Where is the 9/8 update? This issue has been going on since 9/9 and MS obviously doesn't care.

Sunday, September 29, 2013 12:06 AM
  • I dl'd the same file as shown above, but mine came in at 114 Kb. As for the "release date," where do you find that? I checked the properties of the .dat file, but didn't see anything indicating a release date.
    Tuesday, October 1, 2013 6:00 PM
  • Well, I FINALLY got someone to give me a definitive answer (albeit a lousy one) on the 2013 MS Trips Construction Update issue……… (After being on the phone for over an hour and talking with 7 different people)

What I was told was that the glitch is in the 2013 S&T coding, and therefore non fixable…….. Evidently, they are working on a 2014 version, (supposedly a couple months out…) and all of us suckers that bought 2013 MIGHT be grandfathered in, but more than likely will have to pay for the upgrade to 2014, at approximately ½ the cost of a new program……….. 

So much for tech support and/or “customer service.”  :-)

You may want to pass this along to all the other folks out there having the same issue...............

• Proposed as answer by MotelMan Monday, October 7, 2013 7:53 PM
    Monday, October 7, 2013 7:52 PM
  • Release buggy software then force consumers to purchase an upgrade to fix known problems, if the customer wants the problem to go away... typical Micro$loth response.

After the 2013 release, no more S&T for me unless M$ provides a free upgrade to 2014.

BTW, where is S&T 2013 listed on the support page... NOWHERE!!!  So you can't even email in with a question about a bug fix.  I refuse to sit with a phone glued to my ear waiting for some T/S clone in Bangalore to pass me around the office hoping someone has an answer to my query; I have better things to do with my time.

Since the release of Windows 8, I have taken the leap to Apple for all my personal products.  I no longer have to experience great GUI shock after each new O/S release, unlike with M$.

Albeit I must remain with M$ for work  :(

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 3:12 PM
  • Someone from Microsoft will look into the issue and fix it this week, per laptopgpsworld

And Microsoft seems to respond to issues on the other forum I mentioned above and is quite active there, so stop by and post your questions theer

Susie

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 2:32 PM
  • there is a download, but it didn't work
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:38 PM
  • Microsoft is aware of the issue. It needs to be fixed Microsoft's end. There's nothing users can do to correct it. As per Larry's post at http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/5025-construction-information-your-route-out-date-message-wont-go-away#post46109

http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:06 PM
  • November 2013 and the problem continues to persist :(
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 12:01 AM
  • I could find fixit for up to 2009 but not 2011 which I have.  Do you remember where you found the 2011 fix?  I've already spent too much time trying to find fixes for stuff!  The time spent on fixing all these MS problems does tempt me to go to Apple.  The rest of my family has - but I generally like my MS programs and hate to start over!  I don't trust fixes from most sites other than MS.  I did one and it crashed my computer!
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:01 PM
  • Larry has just posted at Laptop GPS World that the functionality of this feature has been restored: http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/5025-construction-information-your-route-out-date-message-wont-go-away#post46487

http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 10:32 PM
  • The problem is not just Streets and Trips 2013.  It affects all versions of the software because Microsoft has stopped updating the data as of 8/8/2013.  There is nothing wrong with your computer or software.  There are just no more updates being published by Microsoft.  Maybe their arrangement with NavTec for the data has expired and MS does'n see the point in spending the money to renew it since the construction info was usually wrong or incomplete anyway.
    Friday, February 7, 2014 2:16 PM
  • Microsoft is dropping Streets and Trips.  Also support will be dropped next year.  Obviously they feel they are wasting time updating the construction data.  I can't get any word from them if they are going to put out a patch or fix to get rid of the annoying update reminder.  I called the 800 number and got someone I really couldn't understand due to his accent, and am not entirely sure that he knew what I was talking about.  I even tried to put in a request for info with the Microsoft Technet page.  For over a week it keeps coming up with an error that says: 

Our system is not responding right now. We apologize for the inconvenience. Our technical team has been alerted and is working on resolving the problem.

To get support, use one of the following options:

* Click the back button and try a different support option.* Click the back button and try to continue in a few minutes.-
    * Call 1-800-MICROSOFT (1-800-642-7676).

Now we are talking about Microsoft, are you telling me that they can't fix their "system"?  I have made complaints on their facebook page, but of course there is no response there either.  So what they said on the Streets and Trips page is BS!! Here is what they said:

Today we announce the end of another era, the discontinuation of Microsoft Streets & Trips. We so appreciate the support of our dedicated users over the years.

"The success of these products would never have happened were it not for the loyal and supportive fans who purchased the product and its various iterations over the years,” shares Larry Petersen, test lead for Microsoft Streets & Trips. “Speaking at RV rallies over the years, I’ve loved hearing about our avid customers’ experiences using the software to plan and enjoy road trips across North America."

Saturday, July 26, 2014 1:53 PM