none
Invisible Window for Visual Studio RRS feed

• Question

• Last year I've bought a new laptop having Windows 10 installed.

Earlier this year, after installing the VS2017 (using community version) the program opened but there was no visible window. Though I could find it in the task bar and in the alt+tab listing, no window was to be found. I can select it using these methods and open the window tray, but only the "move" and "close" commands are allowed.

Searching for solutions, I found none that could solve this issue. I left it alone for a while, hoping some update would come eventually. Then I installed Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio and the same thing happened. Further looking for another programs that would have the same behaviour, I found several games that use DirectX and have the same outcome.

This may not be an issue for VS, but if someone in here could point me in the right direction, it would be really helpful, 'cause I still have no solid clue for a solution.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is duplicated from somewhere else, but I couldn't find it.

• Moved by 宝宝徐 Thursday, July 27, 2017 9:17 AM
    Tuesday, July 25, 2017 2:00 AM

All replies

• I'd like to confirm:
    1. Is it sure that VS2017 is running, even if it keeps minimized?
    2. Are you using dual/triple (i.e. multi) monitor?
       (If you have multi monitors, please turn on all monitors.)

If VS2017 is running and you have only one monitor, try [Alt] + [Shift] + [Tab], and select VS2017 window.

Ashidacchi

P.S.
      I guess the location of VS2017 is out of the range of monitor, i.e. beyond monitor's width and height.

• Edited by Ashidacchi Tuesday, July 25, 2017 9:57 AM
    Tuesday, July 25, 2017 9:53 AM
  • Luiz,

As you wrote it is not a problem for Visual Studio alone. 

Therefore you limit the scope of those can help you to the mostly non as professional working developers (whose computers and software is installed by a Tech team). 

Better forums for your problem are the Microsoft Answer and Technet forums. 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/home

Success
    Cor

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 10:16 AM
  • Hi Luiz,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

This forum is discussing Visual Studio Setup and Installation, since your issue related to Alt+Tab not showing VS 2017 window, the root cause is about your system, As Cor mentioned, I suggest you could post in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10  to get a better help.

Or if you have any question about VS setup and IDE use, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks for your understanding

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 2:44 AM
  • Hello and sorry for the delayed reply.

1. The initial loading screen comes up (with the Visual Studio Logo) in the middle, and the icon shows on the tool bar. After a few seconds it goes away and there's nothing else I can see. After trying again I've tried to use the "move" option and it set's my mouse to the horizontal middle and somewhat to 3/4 top screen. I believe it's on the top of where the loading screen was. Testing it now, if I click there sometimes the program will crash.

2. I only have one monitor on, with multiple desktops (I usually set to 3), but I have already cicled through all of them. Also tried to reduce to only one, but noticed no changes.

*PS. I Don't know if the window is out of bounds, but it would have loaded that way since my first use. I don't know what could've caused that.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and good will

Saturday, July 29, 2017 4:53 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.
    I'll surely try those.

Saturday, July 29, 2017 4:54 AM
  • Hi,
    I've made a free software named "窓ならべ (WArranger)" and opened to public. It enables us to arrange active application window in cascade, in horizontal, in vertical, etc.

If you want to try it, please download from my site.
      https://ssl01.rocketnet.jp/hokusosha.com/software/default.html#WArranger

1. After downloading "WArranger.ZIP", double click it and install "窓ならべ (WArranger)". 
        Do not run it before Visual Studio.

2. Run Visual Studio.

3. Run "窓ならべ (WArranger)",

and you will see a window like this:

4. finally, select/check (1) and click (2)

I hope this software will resolve your issue.

Ashidacchi

P.S. I'm a Japanese. and almost all software I've made are displaying Japanese characters.

• Edited by Ashidacchi Saturday, July 29, 2017 5:44 AM
    Saturday, July 29, 2017 5:40 AM
  • Hi Luiz,

How is your issue?  Has your problem been resolved?

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Sunday, August 6, 2017 7:29 PM