none
Running more than 1 WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have quite a large database of files. I am already at 3 TB with my Windows Home Server. With the limitation of space to hold extra HD's >>> dont want to add external usb or esata boxes.
    My question is can i run multiple WHS Boxes on my home network? 

When i first was gathering information on WHS and setup i thought i read where it was possible to run more than 1 but ... I am unable to locate that piece of information.

thanks in advance for anyones help I have tried to see if this question was asked by searching the various forums no luck.

Thursday, November 27, 2008 5:07 PM

Answers

• LI_Boy said:

I have quite a large database of files. I am already at 3 TB with my Windows Home Server. With the limitation of space to hold extra HD's >>> dont want to add external usb or esata boxes.

Yes, as long as each server has a different name.  However, each client PC can only be joined to 1 server at a time in terms of Backups and Remote Access. 

LI_Boy said:

When i first was gathering information on WHS and setup i thought i read where it was possible to run more than 1 but ... I am unable to locate that piece of information.

thanks in advance for anyones help I have tried to see if this question was asked by searching the various forums no luck.

• Marked as answer by LI_Boy Thursday, November 27, 2008 5:51 PM
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 5:18 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply.
    So like on any other peer to peer or Ip address networked as long as naming & ip isnt the same.
    Just keeping 1 WHS for the remote access and the other(s) for  Back up and/or NAS boxes
    Great thanks again
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 5:51 PM

All replies

• LI_Boy said:

I have quite a large database of files. I am already at 3 TB with my Windows Home Server. With the limitation of space to hold extra HD's >>> dont want to add external usb or esata boxes.

Yes, as long as each server has a different name.  However, each client PC can only be joined to 1 server at a time in terms of Backups and Remote Access. 

LI_Boy said:

Thursday, November 27, 2008 5:18 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply.
    So like on any other peer to peer or Ip address networked as long as naming & ip isnt the same.
    Just keeping 1 WHS for the remote access and the other(s) for  Back up and/or NAS boxes
    Great thanks again
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 5:51 PM
  • Don't know what your setup is like, but the hassle free/cost effective solution seems to be to replace the smallest capacity drive in your system with a new largest drive.  I've stuffed 11 drives into 9 drive case and looks like I'm going the 1.5TB drive route next, since my overall goal is to decrease the total number of drives in my system... or get a bigger case. 
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 9:06 PM