OneCare is missing a required update RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've used OneCare for a month without any problems, but within the last few days, I have started to get the "Urgent: Status at Risk" window with the message "OneCare is missing a required update" in red.

I've tried every recommendation listed, and I've spent about 4 to 5 hours trying to solve this problem.

My "virus and spyware definitions" under the "Protection Plus" part of the page show that they are up-to-date as of today.

The "Performance Plus" tune-up shows that everything is working without a problem and up-to-date as of today.

Everything in Internet Explorer is up-to-date. I'm running 7.0.5730.11.

Yet everytime I start the computer I get the red Windows Live OneCare icon and the message (Status: At risk).

Is there anything I can do?

Am I at risk?

Is there anyway to solve this problem?

I don't understand how a Microsoft product on a Microsoft operating system can be so difficult to work with? It doesn't make sense to me, and I've driven this computer like a little old lady drives a ten year old Toyota.

Is there any help anyone can offer?

Thank you

Sunday, November 16, 2008 9:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• I TOO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AND HAVE SPENT SOME TIME TRYING TO FIX AND I STILL CANT GET IT TO UPDATE. I HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP OUT THERE.

Monday, November 17, 2008 6:38 AM
  • Your problem is that OneCare itself has failed to complete an update that was deployed late last week.

Information to help troubleshoot and resolve update problems -

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1286736&SiteID=2

-steve
    Monday, November 17, 2008 2:47 PM
  • Hi Steve,

I too have this problem...except mine is not only affecting OneCare but all my windows programs, like Office and Explorer. I get the Windows Installer popup box anytime I try to run anything from MSFT....pretty strange.

I spent a couple hours trying to troubleshoot Onecare with  MSFT tech, he finally gave up and said Installer was corrupted...it appears that you can't just reinstall Installer on Vista like you could on XP...so he recommended I call Vista support.

I worked with them for a while and didn't get anywhere either, they had me follow the above link about resolving update problems up to the uninstall/reinstall step.

If I uninstall/reinstall OneCare is there any way to point it to my existing 50GB backup set or do I have to start all over and do a fresh backup? And then delete the old backup since it will then be useless?

Thanks,

Frank

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 1:54 AM
  • Hi, Frank. When you reinstall OneCare, your old backups are valid to restore from, but OneCare cannot reconnect to them to continue backing up new and changed files. It will require you to configure backup fresh and create a new/Full backup.

-steve

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 6:03 PM