Lost Remote Access and unable to re-install Connector software RRS feed

• Question

• The problem all started when I got a message saying something about problem with the port forwarding in my Linksys WRT310n router.  I ignored it and a couple of days later I totally lost remote access to my homeserver both inside my home and outside.  Then I lost the ability to logon through the connector software saying that the server is not accessible to try about later.  I uninstalled and I can't seem to re-install the connector software, I get an error saying that a local web server or firewall issue may have occurred.  whatever that means?   I am able to use the remote desktop to connect to the server and running the toolkit from microsoft and it reports back that the default site is not a windows home server site.  So, I'm not sure what is going on or how to resolve it.

any help ????  anyone?

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:46 PM

All replies

• If the default website is not a Windows Home Server website, I could imagine two reasons:

1. Your router has its remote management facilities enabled, which are accessable via Internet and therefore override any port forwarding for port 80/443. Did you forward the ports manually? Is the IP address of the server still the same as configured for forwarding? (Eventually your router even got taken over by malware, especially, if it's firmware was not up to date.)
    2. IIS on the server could be misconfigured, if you have a 3rd party software installed on it, which is affecting the server configuration (eventually also a .NET Frameweork update can have caused this). Are there any warnings and errors in the servers event logs? Since installing Connector requires also IIS working properly, this would explain your situation.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 9:40 PM
  • Thanks,  I will check it out.  Last night I did another firmware update so hopefully that will fix the problem.  Its looking that I'll need to reformat the machine and start over.  But before I do I will see if a repair will fix it.  When I was working on it last night it seems that something in windows got broken and the only way to fix it is to reformat and install again.  I'll keep you posted what the outcome is. 

thanks for your advice and help.

Rocco

Thursday, November 11, 2010 5:23 PM