none
Setting up Windows Ultimate 7 64bit - invalid key RRS feed

• Question

• I just built a new pc.  I am trying to install OS just purchased via school.  When I enter the key it tells me The product key is not valid.

This is a new license.  Just took the disk out of a sealed bag.  This was delivered by the school today.

Come on - wasting my damned time here.

Help!

Ed

Thursday, November 4, 2010 2:31 AM

Answers

• Hello eddelgado,

That Part No disc is the SKU for the Campus and School Agreement/Work-at-Home Volume License for W7 64bit.

It's an UPGRADE license.

According to the Licensing Agreement, your computer has to first have a previous installation of a genuine qualifying Windows operating system.

Thursday, November 4, 2010 3:08 AM

All replies

• Hello eddelgado,

Are you trying to install an Upgrade license onto a newly built computer?  If so, that's the problem.

Thursday, November 4, 2010 2:55 AM
  • No this is a full new license as purchased from the local school.

Was delivered in a black sleeve.  

Label on sleeve reads as follows:

Windows Ultimate 7 64bit Eng Disk Kit

MFG REFERENCE : AVTO 8/24/2010

PART NUMBER: GLC-00404

Ed

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, November 4, 2010 5:51 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, November 5, 2010 7:08 PM
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 2:56 AM
  • Hello eddelgado,

That Part No disc is the SKU for the Campus and School Agreement/Work-at-Home Volume License for W7 64bit.

It's an UPGRADE license.

According to the Licensing Agreement, your computer has to first have a previous installation of a genuine qualifying Windows operating system.

Thursday, November 4, 2010 3:08 AM
  • Lovely - what a waste of time.

I've got to get back to the school on this ____.  I have a copy of windows XP that I could install and then upgrade from but I do not want to put myself through that many hours of aggravation!

Thanks Dan!

Thursday, November 4, 2010 3:15 AM
  • Hello eddelgado,

You're welcome :-)

If you just built a computer for W7 it's probably got some horsepower.  An installation of XP would get on there in about 15-20 minutes.  If you use an installation disc with SP3 integrated, you're done with XP and are ready to run W7 setup.  If your XP disc is less than SP3 add some more time to get it up to SP3 level.

Thursday, November 4, 2010 3:19 AM
  • You may have the upgrade if you have the full version ingnor my noncense

Thursday, November 4, 2010 5:13 AM
  • Guys you are correct.  I have received a copy of the upgrade software.

This PC is replacing an older pc running XP.  I could install the XP and then upgrade but I do not want to go through all of that foolishness.  Heaven forbid I need to reinstall the OS at some point!

I went through that with my old PC.  My XP copy is one of the early ones.  Every time my kids would wack my machine and I would have to reinstall and patch it would be hours of fun to reapply all those service packs!

Thank you all for your help!

Ed

Thursday, November 4, 2010 12:09 PM
  • Hello eddelgado,

Windows 7 Ultimate has a disk imaging backup solution included in the OS.  So after you have it all installed and set up the way you like it, go to the Backup and Restore Center and create a backup image to DVD or to an external drive.  That addresses your issue for W7.

For XP use a handy utility called Autostreamer to integrate the SPs into a working installation disc that you use for repair reinstallations and for clean installations.  nLite is another handy slipstreaming utility that does drivers and individual updates as well as SPs.

Thursday, November 4, 2010 2:03 PM
  • Thanks for the tip Dan.  You'd be handy to have as a neighbor.

I'm having my wife check on the software.  From what I have seen out there on other sites the only educational copy available might be the upgrade.  That's not the info we had gotten from the school documentation.  If that is the fact I will take the XP copy that is installed on the PC that I am replacing and install that on the new one.  I will then upgrade from there.  I'm hopeful that I will not need to load service packs to use the existing XP as the basis for this new install.

Once I get the pc up and running I'll look into the backup image.

Thanks again.

Ed

Thursday, November 4, 2010 2:16 PM