Media will not accept OEMAct key RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a Gateway laptop that suffered a hard disk failure and thus cannot recover the recovery image.  Our customer does not want to wait till Gateway can ship restore media, so I am attempting to reinstall Vista Home Premium using the dvd available from technet/MSDN.  I've had this work with other vendors COA keys but this machine states 'Your product key cannot be validated.' when I attempt to install from the bootable media.  I've tried both the x86/x64 media to no avail.  I've also bypassed activation, chosen the correct os, installed and attempted to key and activate in the running os only to get the same error.  Are these gateway keys not usable for oem activation?

Any help is greately appreciated,

Brandon
    Friday, May 22, 2009 9:28 PM

Answers

• BJohns,

Thank you for visiting our forum today. The problem you will experience is the product key located on the COA is for an OEM SLP installation. There are a few different versions of Windows such as:  OEM System Builder, Retail, COA SLP, OEM SLP. The product key is designed to be paired with the certain versions of the OS. More than likely the customer will have to wait for Gateway to provide the OEM SLP version of Windows or purchase an OEM System Builder version and have you install it.

Thank you BJohns,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, May 22, 2009 9:57 PM
    Friday, May 22, 2009 9:57 PM