why is it not genuine RRS feed

• Question

• my windows xp disk came with my old dell computer, ive built my own base unit since and installed windows on it using the old licence key and its been fine all this time. So if i pay to make this copy genuine AGAIN what happens if in 6 months time i build another new base unit are you saying i have to pay all over again
    Friday, May 26, 2006 7:07 PM

Answers

• so are you saying that i cant even take advantage of the offer currently being made where i can make this copy genuine for £92
    Friday, May 26, 2006 7:57 PM
  • yes i got my e-key and it worked fine and also the xp disk has also arrived and all is workign fine for now until i want to build another computer i suppose!!
    Tuesday, June 20, 2006 9:34 AM

All replies

• You cannot use a Dell-branded Windows XP Reinstallation CD on a non-Dell computer.  The Dell OEM license (Product Key) is only valid with the Dell computer it originally came with and cannot be used on a different computer.

If you built a new computer, you need to purchase and install a conventional "Full Retail Version" of Windows XP.  You will not have any issues with WGA again since a retail version permits a transfer to a different computer in the future.

Friday, May 26, 2006 7:19 PM
  • so are you saying that i cant even take advantage of the offer currently being made where i can make this copy genuine for £92
    Friday, May 26, 2006 7:57 PM
  • This is correct since the Dell license is genuine, but only if installed on a genuine Dell computer.  You simply misused the license.
    Friday, May 26, 2006 9:28 PM
  • sevetaz:

the previously reply is not true in your scenario as I understand it. Please correct me if I am wrong as I describe your scenario below.

You have an OEM machine that failed to validate its copy of Windows. You then purchase an Electronic WGA Kit to make it Genuine.

I would be very interested in trying to determine why you received this error on validation. OEM installations should validate without the customer even seeing validation UI's. It appears you may have had the computer installed with a version of Windows with something other than what was provided by the OEM. Could this be possible?

This scenario will work. The previous scenario as I understand it was a cusotmer trying to use their OEM CD on a newly built computer and validation is failing. This would not work because of the BIOS, hardware checks conducted on the computer during validation. The OEM EULA states that the copy of Windows installed on that computer cannot be used on another computer.

hth

dave

Monday, May 29, 2006 3:46 AM
  • When i purchased my computer years ago now, i paid extra expecting to have XP on it instead of 98, but it came with 98 installed and one of their own reinstall disks and a seperate oem windows disk for XP. I never got round to using it, so when i built another base unit i installed it onto my current machine and it worked fine because it had not been used on another machine. It has worke fine for ages and updates etc have been downloaded without any hassle until now.I have asked for the wga kit to make it genuine and microsoft have taken my money, i havent received the kit yet so i dont know if it works, also done know what happens if it doesnt will I get my £92 back.
    Monday, May 29, 2006 9:22 AM
  • "...I would be very interested in trying to determine why you received this error on validation. OEM installations should validate without the customer even seeing validation UI's. It appears you may have had the computer installed with a version of Windows with something other than what was provided by the OEM. Could this be possible?

This scenario will work. The previous scenario as I understand it was a cusotmer trying to use their OEM CD on a newly built computer and validation is failing. This would not work because of the BIOS, hardware checks conducted on the computer during validation. The OEM EULA states that the copy of Windows installed on that computer cannot be used on another computer."

Dave,

Have you actually tested WGA properly?  I have a Dell Latitude with the COA on the bottom. It asked me to validate EVERY TIME I try to use MS update. I now get a nag screen saying "...Counterfeit Software...etc".

The key is genuine, the Laptop is genuine (receipts etc). Perhaps if MS produced a WGA approach which worked rather assume that every failure was due to "something other than what was provided by the OEM" we might just get somewhere.

I think it's called treating your customers fairly.

Fred

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 5:56 PM
  • I must admit that i feel ive been diddled out of £92, feels like ive purchased XP twice, but my WGA has worked for now
    Tuesday, May 30, 2006 9:38 PM
  •  sevetaz wrote:
    I must admit that i feel ive been diddled out of £92, feels like ive purchased XP twice, but my WGA has worked for now

If you feel ripped off, go talk to your Citizens Advice Bureau (assume your in the UK) and write to Microsoft letting them know you're considering taking action under consumer protection law.

Fred

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 9:51 PM
  • Sevetaz,

In the USA (not sure of your rules if you are outside of the USA),

OEM copies of XP are licensed to be used on the computer they were originally shipped with and no other computer.  They are in a sense permanently married or linked to the hardware.

Retail copies of XP can be moved from computer to computer as long as they are removed from the previous computer after being installed on the next computer.

You were using the Dell-supplied copy of XP on a non-Dell computer, that's why it was flagged.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 9:56 PM
  •  Dan at IT Associates wrote:

Sevetaz,

In the USA (not sure of your rules if you are outside of the USA),

OEM copies of XP are licensed to be used on the computer they were originally shipped with and no other computer.  They are in a sense permanently married or linked to the hardware.

Retail copies of XP can be moved from computer to computer as long as they are removed from the previous computer after being installed on the next computer.

You were using the Dell-supplied copy of XP on a non-Dell computer, that's why it was flagged.

WGA causes problems on Dell PCs (and other OEM PCs) with proper licenses as well, Dan, as has been admitted by MS staff on this forum.

We should make that clear to people before they cough up for licences they don't need or have already paid for, don't you think?

Fred

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 10:13 PM
  • Fred123...

The "problem" on Sevetaz's Dell was self-inflicted and was not a problem with WGA at all.  In fact, the validation process worked great...it identified a misuse of a license.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 10:38 PM
  • is not genuine. I want to install Windows Media Player 11 Beta.
    Tuesday, May 30, 2006 11:56 PM
  •  sevetaz wrote:
    I must admit that i feel ive been diddled out of £92, feels like ive purchased XP twice, but my WGA has worked for now

Have you yet received your E-Key offer?

thanks

dave

Monday, June 19, 2006 4:22 PM
  • yes i got my e-key and it worked fine and also the xp disk has also arrived and all is workign fine for now until i want to build another computer i suppose!!
    Tuesday, June 20, 2006 9:34 AM
  • Sevetaz,

The Genuine Windows Offer Kit includes the "full retail" license for XP.  "Full" means that there is no requirement that a previous Windows operating system had to have been installed on the computer (an Upgrade license on the other had would have that requirement), and "retail" licenses can be moved from computer to computer as many times as you want to (an OEM license on the other hand is only good on the computer it came preinstalled on), provided of course that it is installed on one computer at a time.

So that means you can use the XP you just got if you decide to build a new computer--you just have to remove it from the current computer.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 2:31 AM