MIDI Input (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• danzman posted on 03-25-2009 10:17 AM

Is it possible to use MIDI input to create a song using songsmith?

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:22 PM

Answers

• Notes_Norton replied on 06-25-2009 7:22 PM

I too would love to be able to play MIDI files directly into Songsmith instead of using my voice.

Why?

1. I play synthesizer much better than I sing
    2. After many years of synth playing and improvising, I think I come up with better ideas on the synth than I do with my voice
    3. My synth is always in tune

I think a MIDI input would be a great help to flesh out some song ideas while improvising on a single-note synth like a Wind controller.

Notes

• Stefan:

Thanks for your interest in Songsmith.  Unfortunately this is not something we're working on.  If you're feeling like experimenting, there is a roundabout way you can do this.  Songsmith uses only a very coarse representation of pitch in each measure, so if you render the MIDI to audio, using any software or virtual instrument you like, you'll capture all of the information Songsmith needs to generate chords (and let you edit and explore those chords).  It won't really matter if you render it with a $1500 virtual violin or a freeware piano, pitch is pitch from Songsmith's perspective.

Of course, Songsmith doesn't exactly support importing audio either, so I've only gotten you part of the way there. :) 

But in this recent thread:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/948c6f17-f49f-4ef5-8db8-1069c81b1005/stereo-mix?forum=songsmith

...and the older thread it refers to:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9d6d090f-3510-42f4-9e3c-dc2f983f599f/chord-generation-migrated-from-communityresearchmicrosoftcom?forum=songsmith

...I discuss a few strategies for doing this.

Sorry there's not a more direct way; this is not a core scenario for Songsmith, and we wanted to keep things simple for the interactive, voice-driven core application.  Hope that helps!  Good luck!

-Dan from the Songsmith team

Monday, February 16, 2015 7:24 PM
    Owner

All replies

• dmorris replied on 03-25-2009 2:00 PM

Danzman:

Thanks for your interest in Songsmith! 

Though we'd love to support this in the future, it is not possible right now to send MIDI input to Songsmith. 

If you're interested in doing this, though, and you're willing to put in some effort to work around this limitation, you have a couple of options:

1) Play your MIDI instrument through a synthesizer and send the audio output into Songsmith.  How exactly you do this will depend on your particular audio configuration, but just simply holding a microphone up to the speakers that your synthesizer is playing through actually works quite well (I did this lots of times while developing Songsmith; you get tired of singing every time you test your code :) ).  You could also set up Songsmith to record from the "what you hear", "wave out", and "midi out" channels on my sound card (instead of from a microphone), depending on exactly where your MIDI signal is going.

2) Record MIDI input to a file, synthesize audio from that MIDI data using your favorite synthesizer, and stick that audio into a .songsmith file.  This is actually a tricky thing to do, so mail me if you're interested in doing this.  We're hoping to make this easier with some tools in the future, but there are ways to do this now if you're interested.

Hope that helps; sorry we don't have direct support for this right now.

-Dan

• danzman replied on 03-25-2009 7:13 PM

Thanks Dan, Your suggestions are good ones. I will try them and report back to you if I succeed.

• phnoel replied on 05-21-2009 6:00 AM

Hi!

It would be very usefull sending midi files to Songssmiyh "> !...

i'm eager it will be soon possible.

Phil

• Notes_Norton replied on 06-25-2009 7:22 PM

I too would love to be able to play MIDI files directly into Songsmith instead of using my voice.

Why?

1. I play synthesizer much better than I sing
    2. After many years of synth playing and improvising, I think I come up with better ideas on the synth than I do with my voice
    3. My synth is always in tune

I think a MIDI input would be a great help to flesh out some song ideas while improvising on a single-note synth like a Wind controller.

Notes

• Here many Years after, I'll put up the Question on more time... Have you done any progress in direction of being able to import a MIDI into Songsmith?

It, would really heighten the program for some of us user who like to se some chord suggestion in our work...

Kind Regards and soft music...

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 1:47 PM
  • Here many Years after, I'll put up the Question on more time... Have you done any progress in direction of being able to import a MIDI into Songsmith?

It, would really heighten the program for some of us user who like to se some chord suggestion in our work...

Kind Regards and soft music...

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 1:48 PM
  • Stefan:

Thanks for your interest in Songsmith.  Unfortunately this is not something we're working on.  If you're feeling like experimenting, there is a roundabout way you can do this.  Songsmith uses only a very coarse representation of pitch in each measure, so if you render the MIDI to audio, using any software or virtual instrument you like, you'll capture all of the information Songsmith needs to generate chords (and let you edit and explore those chords).  It won't really matter if you render it with a $1500 virtual violin or a freeware piano, pitch is pitch from Songsmith's perspective.

Of course, Songsmith doesn't exactly support importing audio either, so I've only gotten you part of the way there. :) 

But in this recent thread:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/948c6f17-f49f-4ef5-8db8-1069c81b1005/stereo-mix?forum=songsmith

...and the older thread it refers to:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9d6d090f-3510-42f4-9e3c-dc2f983f599f/chord-generation-migrated-from-communityresearchmicrosoftcom?forum=songsmith

...I discuss a few strategies for doing this.

Sorry there's not a more direct way; this is not a core scenario for Songsmith, and we wanted to keep things simple for the interactive, voice-driven core application.  Hope that helps!  Good luck!

-Dan from the Songsmith team

Monday, February 16, 2015 7:24 PM
    Owner