Windows Update Redirector? RRS feed

• Question

• i have 5 PCs, and montly microsoft updates needs to update windows
    so is it possible to get WHS to download from windows update and redirects the clients to the WHS server so they can dl form it, it will save bandwidth for everyone
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 9:10 AM

All replies

•  Tommy LA wrote:
    i have 5 PCs, and montly microsoft updates needs to update windows
    so is it possible to get WHS to download from windows update and redirects the clients to the WHS server so they can dl form it, it will save bandwidth for everyone

MS has a product for that already. Search for WSUS, some run it on WHS, I believe. You can sign up for that beta too.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 9:26 AM
  • Using SUS on WHS is *NOT* recommended... though it does work...

Thursday, July 12, 2007 12:40 PM
  •  Jolted wrote:

Using SUS on WHS is *NOT* recommended... though it does work...

I'm guessing that WSUS wont "officially" support WHS until sometime after RTM., if ever.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 7:41 PM
  • It wouldn't make sense to install WSUS on WHS because none of the "Home" OSs can connect to it. My WSUS server has over 70GB of downloaded content and that is only for the updates that were needed by one of my computers within the last 4 months.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 8:40 PM
  •  Bezalel Geretz wrote:
    It wouldn't make sense to install WSUS on WHS because none of the "Home" OSs can connect to it. My WSUS server has over 70GB of downloaded content and that is only for the updates that were needed by one of my computers within the last 4 months.

XP and Vista are supported, just not the "home" versions which also can not RDP either. Home networks with more than a few clients can benefit from WSUS.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 8:49 PM
  • Windows Update can also include items specific to a particular machine - eg some may have Office, some not or maybe other versions thereof, as well as items that are machine specific - eg, my Vista and XP machines have d/l several driver upgrades. If only the standard patches, eg, were selected then these would be missed.

I can't really see that, for the average household, the bandwidth used is going to be a real issue - especially if they're already streaming TV and downloading DVD images.

Unless you want to play with it, of course, in which case fair enough, but I don't see the value of providing it for such a consumer product.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 11:51 PM
  •  Crash2975 wrote:

Unless you want to play with it, of course, in which case fair enough, but I don't see the value of providing it for such a consumer product.

I wouldn't suggest including it *in* WHS but geeks with a lot of workstations might want to play with it and it does what the OP asked for. I'm pretty sure another geek will write an add-in for it too. Wink

Friday, July 13, 2007 12:02 AM